Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-04-13 02:28:13

stevenman

Never Played Before

Hello,

I'm someone who has never played a shakuhachi before.  I would like to involve myself with the instrument, though, and I thought this forum would be a good place to start.  I should probably look into picking up a used Yuu at a reasonable price, and finding a teacher.

Peace,
Steve

#2 2008-04-13 07:26:19

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Never Played Before

Hi Steve, Welcome to the Forum!
There are great teachers listed here on the Teachers section. You can also post an entry looking for a Yuu in the Buy sell/ section.

There's tons of info here so feel free to make use of the search section but also post a question anytime. A previously asked question can sometimes generate new discussions since the shakuhachi experience can be a fluid one for many.

With a firm hand shake, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-04-13 12:51:50

stevenman

That's an excellent question.  As someone who has never picked up a shakuhachi before, I've been asking myself a couple of questions: why do I want to learn to play the shakuhachi?  How much time and energy would I dedicate to learning the shakuhachi?  Is this instrument really for me?

I guess I’m interested because the shakuhachi is a simple instrument that can produce a wide range of sounds, and is very microtonal.  The question of how serious I am about learning the instrument is a different matter.  I’ve been looking into picking up an instrument for a while: the ukulele, the tablas, shamisen and so on, but never made the leap into actually purchasing one of these instruments.  I’m a little worried about buying a shakuhachi, even a used yuu, if I’m not serious on mastering it.  It’s not just an economic investment, it’s a time and energy investment.  I am definitely interested in the Zen aspect of the shakuhachi, the idea of sitting under a tree somewhere and slowly unfolding a sound is very appealing.  But, as a senior in college, I also like the idea of playing along with contemporary jazz or even rock with my friends.

So I wonder- why do you guys play the shakuhachi?

#4 2008-04-13 19:50:04

edosan
Edomologist

stevenman wrote:

Because the girls love it...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2008-07-23 22:24:24

pablo63

Hopefully, pre-supposing you acquire a decent instrument, your experience will be as enriching as mine has been.  I had little idea that stillness existed for me, or the people existed that were as freely giving of their time, & knowledge as the members of this forum.   I've been on the road for a year & see edosan had kept his pithy humor... any of the folks in this forum who have helped me in my journey reading this need no acknowledgement.

#6 2008-07-24 08:26:35

lowonthetotem
Website

Because the girls love it...

Hi Steve,

I never really played an instrument before picking up the shakuhachi.  It is really a wonderfulinstrument, even if I am not such a wonderful player.  Speaking as a married man, I can tell you that the above statement is open to debate, of course it could just be my playing. wink

I enjoy blowing Ro and Honkyoku as a form of meditation.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#7 2008-07-24 10:30:09

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

stevenman wrote:

I find it is simultaneously the most simple and complex instrument I've ever encountered. It can be experienced in so many ways so there is something in it for everyone. It offers endless challenge and fascination.

stevenman wrote:

I’m a little worried about buying a shakuhachi, even a used yuu, if I’m not serious on mastering it.  It’s not just an economic investment, it’s a time and energy investment.

If you find the shakuhachi is not for you, you can always sell it. You can also make your own pvc shakuhachi for dirt cheap. Should you fall in love with the instrument, a nice thing about that is the money and time investment has a funny way of becoming less of an issue.

Good luck!

Ken

#8 2008-07-24 15:58:31

Jim Thompson

stevenman wrote:

Hi Stevenman,
      No reason. Enjoy.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#9 2008-07-24 21:38:46

radi0gnome
Website

stevenman wrote:

For me it's because I like the way it feels when I play it. There seems to be a real connection between the hollow tube and your body. It kind of helps also that with my silver flute training that I believed my teachers that you should practice a lot of tone exercises. I did and I liked them, but all my friends placed a lot less emphasis on tone and much more on music. Guess who got all the kudos for what they accomplished? But, I still feel that my teachers were right, it's the tone that matters, and the notes are secondary. Shakuhachi seems to be a good way to explore that concept further.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#10 2008-07-24 23:48:51

nomaD43

Stevenman,
Welcome to the forum. If you chose shakuhachi for the close community, friendship, sharing of knowledge, support on a global scale, to develop humility and to be completely humbled by a simple piece of bamboo, then you have chosen the one and only instrument. Fortunately for you, you got the hook now and not 20 years ago when I first was drawn to the sound of shakuhachi. Back then, it took me a year to just learn what a shakuhachi was after hearing my first cassette ("Garden of Serenity" by Dave & Steve Gordon). Once I heard that sound, I was hooked, I had to learn how to play this thing - but, I first had to find out what it was.
Now, twenty years later - I am still hooked on the sound, still play bad, couldn't imagine living my life without my shakuhachi, will never be a professional and don't mind that in the least. And now, I am sure that my playing must be really bad, or I am playing all wrong or the wrong things because I have not turned on a single girl in twenty years. I guess Edosan must be much better, or maybe its just me.
At any rate, whether you play shakuhachi or ukulele or a hollow log, you are always welcome here to talk shakuhachi among friends. To repeat what Perry said, wayyy up there, don't be shy to ask questions. There is no such thing as a dumb question - as long as it is asked.
Damon

#11 2008-07-25 02:44:43

Bruce Hunter

stevenman wrote:

Hi stevenman,
I started on piano, couldn't find the notes I wanted to hear. Started learning winds. Some of the notes were there, something was missing, other wind players in the band were a bit unhappy. Started learning strings. All the notes were there, stuff still missing, other string players in the orchestra were really unhappy. Was given a shakuhachi by my brother in law's wife's mother, listed to some recordings, found everything I was looking for, started learning, nobody around me is unhappy anymore. (I'm working on changing that, just so I can feel normal again.) 8^) That's the long story, only took about 40 years.

Short version - Because I can't not.

Gambatte!

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

Board footer