Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-09 20:01:11

Teaman

Sasabuki technique

Hi-

This is my first post so before my question, please accept my thanks to everyone who takes care of and participates in this forum; I love it!

I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction about sasabuki; I notice that as I taper off the note I'm playing, the note mostly disappears, and is replaced by a whistling sound. Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2006-04-10 13:46:22

James Nyoraku Schlefer
Dai Shihan
Website

Re: Sasabuki technique

When you begin to decrescendo (get quieter) make sure to keep your diaphragm support of the air column. Quieter doesn't mean weaker, just quieter. Also if you move the upper lip forward ever so slightly, this can stop the whistling sound. Finally make sure to stop the sound when you want to - not when it just happens. Gambatte!

#3 2006-04-10 20:32:59

Teaman

Re: Sasabuki technique

There we go! Just finished 30 min of sasabuki, trying out your tips, and success! It'll probably take a little while to control my pressure; I guess I always equated quiet notes with low pressure. I usually time the end of my notes when there's no more breath to go around; I'll definitley work on controlling when my notes end. Thank you very very much for your tips! Gambarimasu!

Board footer