Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-27 22:47:38

vibe

Switching between flutes

I've recently acquired a second (longer) flute which I'm absolutely loving. However I'm finding it harder to play my original 1.8 after long sessions on the 2.4, both with embouchure and finger positions.

Do other people experience this? How do the pros manage to play so many different flutes so consistently?

#2 2008-07-27 22:58:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Switching between flutes

vibe wrote:

Do other people experience this? How do the pros manage to play so many different flutes so consistently?

They don't. Some people can and some people can't, it has nothing to do with being a pro. Some pros are remarkably unadaptable. 

The only way to get around this is practice practice practice and switch between the flutes a lot. Eventually your body will learn how to cope with it. Just take inspiration from the fact that it CAN be done, and well.

A good place to start is not to do "long sessions" on the 2.4 all the time. Play one song on 2.4 and then one on 1.8. If you look at the songs you know it will be obvious which ones work better on a short or long flute or which can be interpreted on either. If you play for an hour or two and switch back and forth on each song you will get the hang of it.

After you get confident with switching then resume the long training sessions on either flute.

If I'm at home or in the dojo I switch between flutes on every song I practice (for this very reason). Most days I go between 1.1 to 3.2 and everything in between.  Then when I go on a trip I might only bring one flute and concentrate on that, or if I go for a nature walk. This way you practice both micro and macro adaptation to the flutes.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-07-28 03:21:25

Jim Thompson

Re: Switching between flutes

vibe wrote:

I've recently acquired a second (longer) flute which I'm absolutely loving. However I'm finding it harder to play my original 1.8 after long sessions on the 2.4, both with embouchure and finger positions.

I used to have trouble switching sizes of flutes. I mean like picking up a flute and not being able to get sound at all. Then I figured out that I was trying to locate them all in the same spot on my chin. Mistake. You have to locate the bigger ones lower on your chin and the smaller ones higher up. I hope that helps as far as embouchure is concerned.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

Board footer