Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-28 08:52:39

Vevolis
Website

Bizarre Phenomena

Has anyone encountered an instance when they are either meditating or lying down in an anechoic chamber (aka: recording booth, I used to take naps in them) or someplace nearly dead quiet? I find it totally unsettling because suddenly there is a lot more internal sound than I am usually aware of, not just a dull Tinnitus but my head throbs and my earlobes pulse sound at the same time. I’d say it’s Venus Hum, but I can’t hear my heart beat and it’s irregular. It’s almost like I’m suffering from waking apnea… I can never stay in a room like that quietly for too long.

Anyone know what this is?

#2 2008-07-28 09:08:30

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Bizarre Phenomena

It's the sound of the blood circulating in your body. Congratulations! You are still alive. wink

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-07-28 09:09:44

Lorka

I don't know what it is, but I do know what you mean.  I once had a job interview in such a room.  I guess the room was designed so no outside noise would interrupt the people inside, but I found all the same symptoms you described.  Add to this the fact that you are naturally somewhat stressed becuase you are in an interview, and the whole effect seems ten times worse.  It was a nightmare, and I found it very hard to concentrate.  I actually ended up getting that job, and had to go back to the same room a couple more times.  What a torture.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#4 2008-07-28 09:16:20

Vevolis
Website

Tairaku wrote:

It's the sound of the blood circulating in your body. Congratulations! You are still alive. wink

Hurray! I've never been congratulated for being alive before. I guess blood flow makes sense especially when I’m lying down. I think I have a common sense deficiency. Is there a suppliment for that?

#5 2008-07-28 11:21:06

Sweep

John Cage had the same experience. He heard two kinds of sounds, one high and one low. The engineer correctly identified the lower one as his circulation, but was probably off the mark thinking the high one was Cage's nervous system.

It was a decisive moment for Cage, as he realised there's no such thing as silence for human beings.

When you play music, notes in silence are really notes introduced into this subtle sound environment - like shapes painted on a background, which have space between them, but never empty space.

Or something. big_smile

#6 2008-07-28 14:54:44

radi0gnome
Website

I know that they've been observed by others, but I wonder about how normal some of these sounds are. What I mean is that I wonder if some of them are common health issues that become labled as normal because so many other people experience them. Does high or low blood pressure amplify the sounds? The only time I've heard them is while rebirthing (which is a new-age thing and essentially hyperventilating) and I'm pretty sure that rebirthing does stuff to your blood pressure.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#7 2008-07-28 15:22:08

Vevolis
Website

I had a rebirthing experinece... I was sitting in a tee-pee in a bathing suit on top of a layer of mud and ice offset by large hot rocks in a pit. I'm pretty sure I developed a mild form of pneumonia though... so blood pressure aside, it was pretty wheezy for a couple weeks.

Board footer