Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-04 16:47:07

rmunk

Looking for music - help

I have heard a piece by uttra-kuru on Samurai collection - "Wooden Ship"  does anyone know where I might find the notations for that piece?

Bob

#2 2008-08-04 19:31:20

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Looking for music - help

i have in western notation (with chords too). I trascribed it a year ago. Its a crowd plesure

#3 2008-08-04 19:34:12

edosan
Edomologist

rmunk wrote:

I have heard a piece by uttra-kuru on Samurai collection - "Wooden Ship"  does anyone know where I might find the notations for that piece?

That piece should be easy enough to figure out by yourself--just take it a phrase at a time. Doesn't even have any meri notes smile

In the recording (Uttara-Kuru) it's played on a 1.8, and starts on Chi-Otsu*. If you get stuck anywhere, you can email me off forum, but it's quite straightforward.

It's very good exercise to do this sort of thing. Taught me a great deal. In this case all the fingerings are 'normal', with the exception of an 'I' instead of Ro-Kan about 2/3rds in, when it gets kinda dreamy-like.

*First phrase is: Chi-Otsu-Ri-Ro-Kan----Tsu--Re---- (both Kan), then the reverse, right back down to Chi-Otsu.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2008-08-04 22:13:46

rmunk

I've been learning the Shakuhachi for a year now, Tozan Ryu, and wanted to try and learn to play this piece.  I'm not a musically inclined person so I don't know if I could figure it out.

#5 2008-08-04 23:13:07

Zakarius

I'm not familiar with the piece but you guys have sparked my curiosity -- I couldn't find anything on YouTube of it, though. Anyone know of an online recording somewhere?

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#6 2008-08-04 23:22:50

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

iTunes has it

#7 2008-08-04 23:49:55

DougSherman

"Be a refuge unto yourself" - Buddha Shakyamuni

#8 2008-08-05 00:06:43

edosan
Edomologist

rmunk wrote:

I've been learning the Shakuhachi for a year now, Tozan Ryu, and wanted to try and learn to play this piece.  I'm not a musically inclined person so I don't know if I could figure it out.

'Musically inclined' has little or nothing to do with it. If you're not 'musically inclined', how do you think the sheet music's gonna help you?

Here's what you do:

• Get out your 1.8 (you need a 1.8 for this to work, as that's the length it's played with on the recording).

• Listen to the first phrase, and then stop the player.

• Play the first coupla notes (I already 'splained them, above).

• Now add the next coupla notes; play the first phrase again if necessary. Repeat it until it starts to make sense.

• Write down the notes as you go, putting in breath marks as you go, to separate the phrases (note the breathing points of the musician on the recording). Don't worry too much about the rhythm in the notation you write down, just get the kanji down, and consult a fingering chart where necessary (up into the second octave--the piece gets up to the high D that begins the third octave--it's called Go no Ha--otherwise there's nothing funny about the fingering; no meris, remember?).

• Go on to the next phrase, listening for the breath breaks. Listen, listen, listen.

• You're not memorizing the piece here, just getting it down, bit by bit.

If you need some fingering charts, there are some good beginner ones here: http://www.japanshakuhachi.com/gettingstarted.html. They're 'good' because they have the names of the fingerings on them, which the majority of charts do not.

Be advised that this is work, but it's not difficult or impossible work, and it's very rewarding.

As I said above, if you get stuck send me an email.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#9 2008-08-05 00:54:53

Kerry

edosan wrote:

rmunk wrote:

'Musically inclined' has little or nothing to do with it. If you're not 'musically inclined', how do you think the sheet music's gonna help you?

Here's what you do:

• Get out your 1.8 (you need a 1.8 for this to work, as that's the length it's played with on the recording).

• Listen to the first phrase, and then stop the player.

• Play the first coupla notes (I already 'splained them, above).

• Now add the next coupla notes; play the first phrase again if necessary. Repeat it until it starts to make sense.

What!!! Wire Hangers!!!!
Tough Shakuhachi Love;)
Good splainin' Ed
smile

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#10 2008-08-05 06:13:11

Mike
Website

I did a recording of WOODEN SHIP a few months ago because I liked the piece very much and I put a part of it on my myspace music player (5th piece).
It is one of the pieces that I perform whenever it comes to playing memorized pieces.

http://www.myspace.com/mikeshakuhachi

Mike

I wish I would have found this instrument much earlier in my life. But I didn´t know that I was searching for it all those years.

#11 2008-08-06 14:29:22

Mike
Website

ooops.... sorry ..... my posting was not meant to close this thread ...

I wish I would have found this instrument much earlier in my life. But I didn´t know that I was searching for it all those years.

#12 2008-08-07 01:09:31

Yu-Jin

Zakarius wrote:

I'm not familiar with the piece but you guys have sparked my curiosity -- I couldn't find anything on YouTube of it, though. Anyone know of an online recording somewhere?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_YqHsdEQ2Qw
I am not sure if it is exactly the same, but it sounds very close to what I have on CD.

#13 2008-08-07 01:18:30

edosan
Edomologist

Same piece, different player(s). Wonder if that could be Peter Phippen...

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#14 2008-08-07 12:53:01

radi0gnome
Website

Yu-Jin wrote:

Zakarius wrote:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_YqHsdEQ2Qw
I am not sure if it is exactly the same, but it sounds very close to what I have on CD.

It looks like he's using some of that up and down head shake vibrato that there was some talk about on one of the other threads recently.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer