Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-22 18:38:49

Karmajampa
Website

Emptiness/Sunyata continued

This topic seems to have been cut off with the closure of the Zen forums, but it interests me and I wanted to post some thoughts........

I used to think 'Emptiness' must be some sort of 'blank' thing where nothing is happening, that is probably a fair enough view, but did not give me anything to work with on my Spiritual path. I wonder how many others share this view ?

However, now after discourse I have a different view. Now I see Emptiness as 'Suchness' or seeing things devoid of my own concetual, conditioned reactive response. Many may well say "that is not possible, we cannot change from a conditioned being". Well, if we are not aware or mindful of our conditioning then I can't see much change happening, but then that is what I see as benefit from techniques such as those shown by various Meditations, they strengthen mindfulness, reduce hindrances, and can lead to a more direct insight of 'what is'. This reduction or removal, if only temporary, of those conditioned concepts allows the 'Emptiness' to be experienced. While our minds are chatting on and on discussing and naming, we are not open to other dimensions of knowing. 'Emptiness' in this way is also 'Fullness', full of potential. 

The practice of mindfulness will bring us to see more clearly the sequential comings and goings of our energies, our thoughts, our actions.

If while blowing Shakuhachi I am thinking of how good or bad my blowing is compared to some other time or person, then Sunyata is being hindered by these thoughts. Similarly in all daily activities, if while in a conversation I am distracted, thinking of something, the full communication cannot happen. There is conflict because one concept is trying to replace another. When this ceases there is more of a union between body and mind. And this also feels good, this is what I think is the Spiritual benefit from blowing Shakuhachi, while blowing we are 'blowing', not distracted and disconnected. So we feel good. This 'good' feeling is called 'Jhana' which is also known as 'Zen'. But more than just feeling good, if we continue this practice, those things that hinder and block an open seeing, will diminish and eventually burn out.

Actually, I think there is an emptying and a filling going on at the same time.

This is my understanding and experience of the Dharma of 'Emptiness'.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#2 2008-08-22 18:42:49

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Emptiness/Sunyata continued

OK so when James Brown sings "I Feel Good" he is expounding dharma. I have always thought that might be the case, thanks for confirming wink

Now I'm closing this topic so we don't get into flame wars.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer