Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-30 15:31:37

Benjamin
Website

Nakatsuke and hole #4 playing musical chairs

I am making a two piece 2.4 flute and I knew when I cut the bottom piece that it was a bit too long by maybe 1 sun.  When I went to get the top part of the flute, from a different piece of stock, it was just long enough to be the length that I wanted. Having a limited selection of bamboo is at times a hassle, but other times is  fun having to work with limted material.  The problem is the joint is exactly 12 sun from either end, in other words its exactly in the middle of the flute.

I applied the method set out with the formulas for hole placement provided from Ken LaCosse's making guide here on the forum.  Hole number 4 is well above the end of the top section of bamboo but I am afraid that I would have to drill partially through the hoso if I kept the joint where it is.

I don't think this would really be a problem aside from aesthetics. I think I recall seeing someone sporting a long jinashi that Perry made that had a hole drilled through the hoso here on the forum.

I was also thinking that I could remove a 1 sun section from the bamboo between hole 2 and 3 then marry the cut ends with a U nail and a small band of inlaid binding to shorten the bottom end, then cut the flute near the top and and insert the section taken from the bottom and then marry those ends and cover it with an inlaid binding.  I realize to some this might  be a lot of unnecessary work, but I'm just trying to think of all the possibilites.

Thanks for your time,

Ben

Coming, all is clear, no doubt about it.  Going, all is clear, without a doubt.
What then is all? -Hosshin

#2 2008-08-31 11:49:05

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Nakatsuke and hole #4 playing musical chairs

Ben,

Depending on exactly where it is drilled, one possible drawback of drilling through the hoso is that it could make it more likely to crack. It's a judgment call.

Will the node placement work for something a little shorter like a 2.3? Is so, you could just cut a little off the top of the bottom end.

Also, if you have scrap cuts around from other flutes, (It sounds like you may not) you could add that as a fused joint to the bottom of the top end, or closer to the blowing end like you suggested. That decision might depend on node placement.

Keep in mind that if you are using the formula from my pdf, the fourth hole usually needs to be drilled slightly north of its mark.

Good luck!

Ken

#3 2008-08-31 19:00:28

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Benjamin wrote:

I don't think this would really be a problem aside from aesthetics. I think I recall seeing someone sporting a long jinashi that Perry made that had a hole drilled through the hoso here on the forum.

Thanks for your time,

Ben

Hi Ben, Yes, that would be the one I made for Zak. It has part of hole #4 on the male part of the Nakatsuki. This was  due to me leaving it longer for extra support because the flute was so long. It's a 3.2.

There are challenges to every flute, especially when you do things that are not traditional. Just have fun!

All the best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2008-09-01 12:54:40

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

There are challenges to every flute, especially when you do things that are not traditional. Just have fun!

Yeah, it's fun, liberating and educational to try something different when confronted with a flute making challenge. It's a good lesson in compromise. Sometimes an unusual approach works out better than expected. Sometimes you learn why certain things are not done. Often, it's a combination of the two. Regardless of the outcome, it increases and sharpens ones library of options to apply to the next flute. Constant learning!

Board footer