Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-30 14:27:44

anjin

Thiago Santos, from Brazil...

Hello everyone!

My name is Thiago and I'm a shakuhachi beginner. I'll study by myself (because there is no teacher here), and everyone here will be my master, ok? big_smile

I'm lookin' for a shakuhachi, too.. So, all tips and advice will be welcome!

Thanks for all!

wink

"The sound of the flute, the wind through the pines, the plucked string of the koto, the songs and the dances: all myriad voices of the dharma."

#2 2008-08-30 14:40:41

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Re: Thiago Santos, from Brazil...

Seja bem vindo!

Com certeza aqui encontrará muitos amigos e opiniões sinceras!

Finally a shakuhachi lover appears near to me!  It's a gift to a big crying duck who was always searching for people to play with... 

We had a brief meeting yesterday on the internet and as we talk about, here you will really find virtual friends who can easily became of flesh and bone, just in front of you!!! 

Have fun here!!! 

A big hug and peace!!!

Henrique

Last edited by Musgo da Pedra (2008-08-30 19:52:20)

Omnia mea mecum porto

#3 2008-08-30 22:47:10

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hola Thiago. Welcome to the Forum amigo!

all the best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2008-09-02 02:37:28

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Thiago
Welcome to the forum!
Thiago and Henrique, I heard that Tsuna Iwami moved to Brazil in the 1950's. He was a student of Araki Kodo IV (Araki was the head of the main line of Kinko-ryu). Is there still his school existing in Brazil? I am a student of Araki Kodo V here in Japan. It would be interesting to hear about our school in Brazil!

If you need a high quality shakuhachi, I make shakuhachi specifically for our school (and some others - you can check my webpage for more info). If you need a cheap shakuhachi to begin with, I recommend the shakuhachi yuu. It is plastic, but very cheap and very suitable for beginners.

Good luck!

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#5 2008-09-02 04:22:19

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Thiago.

There is quite an interesting shakuhachi community in Brazil. The most interesting is, as already mentioned, Iwami Baikyoku, who is an iemoto and student of Araki Kodo III and IV. Dale Olsen has written the book 'The Chrysanthemum and the Song: Music, Memory, and Identity in the South American Japanese Diaspora' Gainsville" University Press of Florida in 2004. It shows that there are quite a lot (all relative of course) of min'yo players, but especially Iwami keeps the honkyoku alive. Students of Iwami are among others: Olsen himself, Danilo Baikyo Tomic, Julio Baiko Kobayashi and Kuniji Natori.
Olsen mentions that Iwami Baikyoku is a very interesting case of music history as he is playing a style of kinko that has been lost already in Japan but due to his isolation in Brazil, he has kept that style alive.
Have fun playing shakuhachi! It is a wonderful instrument!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2008-09-02 04:55:05

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Kiku

Kiku Day wrote:

Hi Thiago.
The most interesting is, as already mentioned, Iwami Baikyoku, who is an iemoto

I saw on komuso.com that it says "In 1942, he received the title of master "Iemoto" at Kinko ryu, and named Baiyoku V." Is this what you are referring to? That is the only reference I have seen to any iemoto of Kinko-ryu. Do you know anything about this? Is it simply a mistake? It seems strange. Especially as his teacher, Araki Kodo IV did not die apparently until 1943.

And are you sure he also studied from Araki Kodo III? I noticed it does not mention this on komuso.com (not that that is definitive of course), but also since he was apparently born in 1923, he would have been only 12 years old when Araki Kodo III died.

Kiku Day wrote:

Olsen mentions that Iwami Baikyoku is a very interesting case of music history as he is playing a style of kinko that has been lost already in Japan but due to his isolation in Brazil, he has kept that style alive.

This seems to be a rather strange claim also. Would it be correct to assume that the Kinko syle he is referring to is the Kodo-kai style (the oldest Kinko-ryu style)? If so, that does not seem to make sense. The Kodo-kai style was transmitted to him it seems from Araki Kodo IV, who received it from his father Araki Kodo III. Kimurai Yusai was, along with Araki Kodo IV, one of the main disciples of Araki Kodo III. Since Araki Kodo IV died at an early age, Araki Kodo V learned from Kimura Yusai. Perhaps the claim that the style was lost in Japan was due to the fact that Araki Kodo V lived for a number of years in the U.S. The above statement could perhaps have been written during that time. Currently Araki Kodo V lives in Japan, and continues to head the Kodo-kai school which is very much alive.

For those of you who can read Japanese, here is the homepage for Kodokai:
http://kinkoryukodokai.googlepages.com/

Soon I hope to have information about Araki-sensei's CDs on my website (I'll keep you posted about that) so that you can all hear him. He is in my opinion the greatest sankyoku player and finest Kinko-ryu honkyoku player I have ever heard, even excelling his grandfather the great Araki Kodo III.

Justin

Last edited by Justin (2008-09-02 04:59:30)

#7 2008-09-02 05:30:36

Kiku Day
Website

Justin wrote:

I saw on komuso.com that it says "In 1942, he received the title of master "Iemoto" at Kinko ryu, and named Baiyoku V." Is this what you are referring to? That is the only reference I have seen to any iemoto of Kinko-ryu. Do you know anything about this? Is it simply a mistake? It seems strange. Especially as his teacher, Araki Kodo IV did not die apparently until 1943.
And are you sure he also studied from Araki Kodo III? I noticed it does not mention this on komuso.com (not that that is definitive of course), but also since he was apparently born in 1923, he would have been only 12 years old when Araki Kodo III died.

Quoted from Olsen's book:
'Tsuna Iwami is the patriarchal Kinko-ryu shakuhachi performer and teacher in Brazil, and is still the most active leader of traditional japanese musical performances in Sao Paulo. He is an iemoto (highest level traditional teacher) who is known professionally as Iwami Baikyoku V. Iwami was one of the last students of Araki Kodo III and Araki Kodo IV, the latter teacher bestowing upon him his iemoto status in 1942...' (Olsen 2004:111-112).

Not that this is definitive either, but I did speak to Olsen who received his shihan license from Iwami and he spent some time in South America doing research. Indeed, Iwami can only have learned from Araki Kodo III as a child.

Justin wrote:

Kiku Day wrote:

This seems to be a rather strange claim also. Would it be correct to assume that the Kinko syle he is referring to is the Kodo-kai style (the oldest Kinko-ryu style)? If so, that does not seem to make sense. The Kodo-kai style was transmitted to him it seems from Araki Kodo IV, who received it from his father Araki Kodo III. Kimurai Yusai was, along with Araki Kodo IV, one of the main disciples of Araki Kodo III. Since Araki Kodo IV died at an early age, Araki Kodo V learned from Kimura Yusai. Perhaps the claim that the style was lost in Japan was due to the fact that Araki Kodo V lived for a number of years in the U.S. The above statement could perhaps have been written during that time. Currently Araki Kodo V lives in Japan, and continues to head the Kodo-kai school which is very much alive.

What Olsen means here is, that when you live in an environment where there is a general development in the music happening, the music does change, and therefore most probably the kodo-kai music today does not sound exactly like what it sounded like in Araki kodo III's days. Music is not static, music is alive and changing no matter how serious we are about lineage, tradition and transmission. However, some times an air pocket can be created like in the case of Iwami Baikyoku, who was isolated from the general change in style of kinko-ryu happening in Japan. Thus he plays it much closer to Araki Kodo III and IV's style - at least according to the results done by Olsen.

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#8 2008-09-02 05:38:47

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

John Singer played some music with Baigyoku V in Brazil and said he was old school.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#9 2008-09-02 06:09:41

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Thus he plays it much closer to Araki Kodo III and IV's style - at least according to the results done by Olsen.

Much closer than who? Did he do that by comparing Araki Kodo III and IV with Araki Kodo V and Tsuna Iwami? If he did, it would be interesting to hear what he found. To get a fair judgement he would have had to compare Tsuna Iwami with Kodokai playing in Japan. I wonder if he might have compared it to other schools. I think the bigger changes occur when a school splits off, such as Chikumeisha, Chikuyusha etc. perhaps when people split off to form a new school, differences in style occur as they strive to define themselves, and differentiate themselves from other schools. Riley mentions this about the creation of Chikuho-ryu and a deliberate differentiate in playing style.

Also the isolation thing sounds reasonable. But I do wonder. The other time I have heard this theory proposed about shakuhachi, was in Riley's thesis. He claimed that Iwamoto played nearer the style of Watazumi because of the same cultural isolation you have mentioned (he was in England). Riley said he learned from Yokoyama when Yokoyama was young, then kept that style alive in England, whereas in Japan Yokoyama's style naturally evolved. So in the end, Iwamoto kept the Yokoyama's older style so was nearer to Watazumi's style than Yokoyama became in his older days because of this isolation. The same as you say here. It's a nice theory. If he had just asked Iwamoto, he could have found out that his theory was actually wrong! Iwamoto deliberately tried to play more like Watazumi, by listening to his recordings!

As for this case, even though he was further away from other Kinko-ryu players, does that mean that he will keep a more old style, or does it mean his style will change more quickly? He seems to have been largely (mostly?) active in non-traditional music. I would expect that to effect his playing. Indeed, listening to his recordings, it sounds like he uses tonguing, which is a Western technique, in his honkyoku. I have heard neither Araki Kodo III nor Araki Kodo V using tonguing in their honkyoku. This seems like quite a drastic change. That is not to say his music is unauthentic - his style is clearly Kodo-kai.

To my ear, Araki Kodo V is closer to Araki Kodo III than at least those recordings I have heard of Tsuna Iwami. Also there are some things which Araki Kodo V deliberately plays differently to his grandfather's style. That is his personal musical taste. In such cases, he teaches us how his grandfather played, how he plays, and let's us decide for ourselves which way we want to play.

Justin

#10 2008-09-02 06:14:32

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Quoted from Olsen's book:
'Tsuna Iwami is the patriarchal Kinko-ryu shakuhachi performer and teacher in Brazil, and is still the most active leader of traditional japanese musical performances in Sao Paulo. He is an iemoto (highest level traditional teacher) who is known professionally as Iwami Baikyoku V. Iwami was one of the last students of Araki Kodo III and Araki Kodo IV, the latter teacher bestowing upon him his iemoto status in 1942...' (Olsen 2004:111-112).

I will try to find out more about that from this end. In the meantime, have you ever heard of Araki Kodo IV being referred to as Iemoto?

Justin

#11 2008-09-02 07:27:34

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Hi there... Iwami Baikyoku is still active givin classes, performing and he is the president of Brasil Nihon Ongaku Kyokai (Brazilian association of Japanese Classic Music).A release press from a concert said that he started his studies with Hodo Igura and after that with Araki IV. 

One of his students was on WSF08. Danilo “Baikyo” Tomic is his name...did anyone meet him? 

I am planning a trip to São Paulo next year or soon as I have money on hands to get with Iwami... It will be really cool and a dream becoming true...

A big hug and peace,

Henrique

Omnia mea mecum porto

#12 2008-09-02 07:40:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Musgo da Pedra wrote:

One of his students was on WSF08. Danilo “Baikyo” Tomic is his name...did anyone meet him?

Yes, Danilo had one of the best compositions that was performed at the festival.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#13 2008-09-02 09:07:28

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

I met Danilo there - he was a really nice guy. I had to tend my shakuhachi most of the time so I missed his piece and many other things too unfortunately. Does he have anything we can listen to on the internet?

Justin

#14 2008-09-02 10:35:46

Kiku Day
Website

Obviously Araki Kodo IV must be the main teacher of Iwami Baikyoku when Araki III died when Iwami was still so young.  I know Olsen is a serious researcher and shakuhachi player, and even though I haven't asked him directly the question whether he is comparing with how kinko players play in Japan, I have no doubt that is what he did, and that he knows what is going on in Japan too.

The isolation theory may and may not work - I agree. In the case of Iwamoto, I doubt because Iwamoto was first in the States, then back in Japan and then in England and he was flying back and forth between Japan and Europe and had family in Japan he visited. Also, Iwamoto did not have Yokoyama as his sole teacher. He had training in other styles of honkyoku before he learned from Yokoyama... so, I agree there can be many more influences on his playing style than the 'isolation' (+ I never thought he played closer to Watazumi than Yokoyama. Does anyone think that?).
I think the Iwami story is a bit different. He moved to Brazil with his mother. It was in the 1950s, another story when you want to take a plane to visit Japan than in the 1970s (even though I 1970s wasn't like how it is today either). The shakuhachi world in Brazil might have been slightly different to the environment Iwamoto was living in. Iwamoto taught shakuhachi at Wesleyan University, then went to UK and taught in York, Dartington and Durham Universities. He had lots of contact with musicians, ethnomusicologists and was in particular into new music and commissioned lots of composers to write for him. I know Iwami is very active and extremely important in presenting Japanese music and fusion music to Japanese-Brazilians and, of course, other Brazilians too. But they are two very different stories. I found it very interesting  to compare, though. I hadn't thought of this.

I have heard some music of Danilo online while I was doing research about shakuhachi music around the globe... I think it was small sound track examples from his CDs. I can't find it now.

So you see, Thiago. Lots of talk can come out of a Brazilian introduction to the forum. Welcome! wink

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#15 2008-09-02 11:19:36

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

I never thought [Iwamoto] played closer to Watazumi than Yokoyama. Does anyone think that?).

Absolutely. He often plays note for note what Watazumi plays, and his nuance is also extremely close. His tone is different. He also played at times on jinashi shakuhachi.

Kiku Day wrote:

I think the Iwami story is a bit different. He moved to Brazil with his mother. It was in the 1950s, another story when you want to take a plane to visit Japan than in the 1970s (even though I 1970s wasn't like how it is today either). The shakuhachi world in Brazil might have been slightly different to the environment Iwamoto was living in. Iwamoto taught shakuhachi at Wesleyan University, then went to UK and taught in York, Dartington and Durham Universities. He had lots of contact with musicians, ethnomusicologists and was in particular into new music and commissioned lots of composers to write for him. I know Iwami is very active and extremely important in presenting Japanese music and fusion music to Japanese-Brazilians and, of course, other Brazilians too. But they are two very different stories. I found it very interesting  to compare, though. I hadn't thought of this.

You can listen yourself if you like. Here are some recordings by Iwami:
http://www.dolsenmusic.com/books/chrysa … index.html

As he was involved as you say with fushion, and modern music (on that page there is a composition of his for flute), this is possibly where he acquired the Western influence of tonguing. I would suggest that if a player kept only to his original repertoire, there may be less chance for change?

On this page you can hear a little sample of Araki Kodo V playing shika no tone:
http://www.komuso.com/people/Araki_Kodo_V.html

On this page you can hear part of shika no tone played by Araki Kodo III
http://shakuhachi.komusou.jp/kinkoryuu/kinkoryuu.html

I am certainly not trying to say anything against Iwami. I was quite excited to hear that there is a Kodokai player in Brazil! I would love to hear more of his music. I just felt to speak up as the claim that his style of Kinko-ryu playing being lost in Japan is clearly incorrect, and indeed as is apparent from the recordings, the Kodo-kai style seems actually better preserved here in Japan (preserved somehow sounds like pickled! What I mean really is "alive and well"!) This is not to say anything against Olsen. I'm sure he is very thorough and proper. I expect that when he wrote that, Araki Kodo V was living in the U.S. The other players of our style here in Japan are quite underground. Indeed, when I first came to the lesson room, I was shocked! All of the students had amazing tone colour and played so well! Where had they all been hiding!? smile

Justin

Last edited by Justin (2008-09-02 11:24:06)

#16 2008-09-02 11:37:40

Kiku Day
Website

justin, i have heard ALL the music you refer to MANY times. Of course, I have heard Iwami's music before and much more than what is up on the net.
Probably Araki Kodo V was living in the US when Olsen wrote that as he did live there for many years.
What are you now referring to when you say OUR? Yokoyama Kodo-kai?

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-09-02 11:38:28)

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#17 2008-09-02 11:38:51

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

justin, i have heard ALL the music you refer to MANY times. Of course, I have heard Iwami's music before and much more than what is up on the net.
Probably Araki Kodo V was living in the US when Olsen wrote that as he did live there for many years.
What are you now referring to when you say OUR? Yokoyama Kodo-kai?

Dear Kiku
Take a deep breath. If my information has been wrong, please continue to be informative.

Justin

Last edited by Justin (2008-09-02 11:43:42)

#18 2008-09-02 11:49:44

Kiku Day
Website

Actually, I think this is a very bad place to be discussing on and on and on...
I have once tried to bring the thread back to the introduction of Thiago. I will do this again:

Welcome, Thiago, as you see lots of talk talk talk can be produced when it comes to Brazilian shakuhachi. I hope you find some other shakuhachi players nearby where you are - although I know Brazil is a huge country. It is very satisfying to exchange with others and the very best is to learn from a teacher. If you can go even once or twice a year to learn from Iwami, I think you will really benefit.
I read in one of Olsen's articles about makers in Brazil making good instruments from native Brazilian bamboo. Perhaps you can find one. I am sure Henrique could advice you. Otherwise we have several good makers here on the forum who sell good shakuhachi. Some of the Japanese music societies around in Brazil might also be able to help out finding instruments, notation, teachers etc. I know there are more than the ones in Sao Paulo.
Good luck and enjoy playing ! ! !
Nice houses in the background on your picture, by the way, Thiago!

I will continue the discussion in 'pieces and notation' because of the lack of a better place.

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-09-02 12:51:16)

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer