World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-19 10:01:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

My Space Music

Hi, I put up a myspace music account and posted an mp3 of Steve Lacy's "Blues for Aida" recorded live at Artasia Gallery. Instrumentation is jinashi 2.0 and gigantic Chinese drum and gong.

I will post new mp3's there periodically.

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

#2 2006-04-19 19:51:33

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: My Space Music

Brian, you might want to look into My Space's policy on posted music. Someone told me that THEY own it as soon as you post it, although I'm not sure how true that is.

Just a heads up...I'm going to research it, and I'll let you know if I find anything out.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-04-19 20:02:59

nyokai
shihan
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Someone told me that THEY own it as soon as you post it, although I'm not sure how true that is.

-E

In posting music on myspace you are simply granting them a non-exclusive right to distribute it on their service for the time that it's up there. There is no mechanism for them to "own" it.

#4 2006-04-21 12:33:48

Gitsuka

Aye what Nyokai says is true. As soon as you remove an MP3 from your account then it will go from everyones account throughout myspace. I am glad your putting some up though i've been trying to find some on there for some time but had no such luck. Thanks for this!

#5 2006-04-21 18:27:11

kyoreiflutes
Website

"Space Music"? lol.

I really like it, Brian. It's got a traditional/avant garde vibe to it, very Butoh. I'm listening to it again, I like it so much.

I've been experiementing with my 3.8, and want to try it out on something like this, but probably more ambient. Your recording has inspired me. What inspired you to write this tune?

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#6 2006-04-21 18:57:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

"Space Music"? lol. -Eddie

Um, myspace.

kyoreiflutes wrote:

I really like it, Brian. It's got a traditional/avant garde vibe to it, very Butoh. I'm listening to it again, I like it so much.

I've been experiementing with my 3.8, and want to try it out on something like this, but probably more ambient. Your recording has inspired me. What inspired you to write this tune?

-Eddie

Which song are you referring to?

#7 2006-04-21 23:50:11

kyoreiflutes
Website

Oh, wow, I feel stupid. I just realized you meant MySpace, as in the site. I thought you meant Space Music. Good lord, what the h is wrong with me? lol.

I was talking about Blues for Aida. It's fantastic.

-E

#8 2006-04-22 07:33:12

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Oh, wow, I feel stupid. I just realized you meant MySpace, as in the site. I thought you meant Space Music. Good lord, what the h is wrong with me? lol.

I was talking about Blues for Aida. It's fantastic.

-E

Don't feel bad, when I posted it I realized there was a double entendre. Albert Ayler used the phrase "Space Music" to describe the music of Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane, whereas he thought his music was "Energy Music".

"Blues for Aida" is composed by Steve Lacy. It is a requiem for a Japanese friend of his, hence the use of a modified insempo scale. One of his friends suggested it to me for that reason.

I will be teaching this song (and others) at the European Summer Camp in London this year if you want to fly over there and learn it. We will also eat fish and chips.

#9 2006-04-22 08:02:02

kyoreiflutes
Website

Oh, man, if I had the funds, I would. Not only would I love to learn that piece, but I'd love some good Fish n Chips. Heck, I'd even make a documentary about it. Oh well, maybe next time.

Brian, what size/type of shakuhachi did you use? It has a nice, earthy sound.

-E

#10 2006-04-22 08:05:35

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Oh, man, if I had the funds, I would. Not only would I love to learn that piece, but I'd love some good Fish n Chips. Heck, I'd even make a documentary about it. Oh well, maybe next time.

Brian, what size/type of shakuhachi did you use? It has a nice, earthy sound.

-E

It is a jinashi Myoan 2.0 of immense dimensions. Pitched in B. I use only jinashi flutes for 2.0 and longer.

Board footer