Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-21 13:28:50

Vevolis
Website

Re and U

I find it difficult to play Re or U. I can play other basic notes fairly easily (especially Otsu Ri) but Re and U are very strained and often times don't even sound. I know you have to play U slightly meri, but I can never seem to sound either note very well. Any thoughts?

#2 2008-08-21 14:46:33

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Re and U

Vevolis wrote:

I find it difficult to play Re or U. I can play other basic notes fairly easily (especially Otsu Ri) but Re and U are very strained and often times don't even sound. I know you have to play U slightly meri, but I can never seem to sound either note very well. Any thoughts?

More long tones (on any note). Really.

Also: Do you have problems with Re on ANY flute you play, or just the current one? Just trying to narrow it down a bit.

Regarding U: How are you fingering it? There are several ways, and one may work better for you than others. Some teachers are strict about how they want it fingered, though, so this may be moot for you, too.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-08-21 14:57:18

Vevolis
Website

I started on a 2.4 but traded it back to Perry in favor of a refurbished 1.8 so I could start lessons. I wasn't familiar with U at the time; I only have the one flute.

1-2-4-5 holes covered 3 open; head slightly meri.

#4 2008-08-21 15:22:24

lowonthetotem
Website

I found that putting my finger NEXT to hole 3, or directly above it, without covering the hole, improved my tone on U.  Just having the finger in the neighborhood of the hole was noticable.  I've also found that unobstructed breath is profoundly important for all meri notes, that is bringing the breath right from the diaphram to the utaguchi in one steady flow.  Not sure if that makes sense.  Also, pulling the chin in instead of lowing the head (if you can appreciate the difference, it is rather minute) leaves more room for meri.  I found that when I just lowered my head, my lower lip was filling up the mouth opening.

With RE, I think it is all about embochure.  Ed is right about the long notes.

I am just talking one beginner to another here.  I don't want to give any other impression.  I am not trying to give any instruction.  Just sharing my experience.  Please correct any silly things that I've said.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#5 2008-08-21 16:40:54

axolotl
Website

1.  Do you have a tuner to check your pitch?

2.  My instruction book has U (or 'ou') with your finger configuration, but it's also played (as my teacher has taught me) with the lowest finger hole open.  (is that hole 5?  I guess so.) 

This configuration is also found on Monty's site:

http://www.shakuhachi.com/Y-FingeringChart-p1.html

U, aka G# on a 1.8, can be seen to have that last finger hole open.  By the way, the configuration you should look at is the last of the 4 configs.  The first 2 are for seven-hole shakuhachi; the 3rd one is actually chi meri (and should have a little 'meri' arrow above it, but oh well). 

I'm also a relative beginner, so if someone comes along to correct me, that's cool.

#6 2008-08-21 20:25:35

Moran from Planet X
Website

axolotl wrote:

2.  My instruction book has U (or 'ou') with your finger configuration, but it's also played (as my teacher has taught me) with the lowest finger hole open.  (is that hole 5?  I guess so.)

Just to get the orientation right, the lowest hole on the front of shakuhachi is the #1 hole or Tsu (holes are named for the pitch you hear when that hole is opened). The #5 hole is your thumb hole (I).

Masa, Jim Thompson's teacher, taught me U as 2, 4, 5 closed with 1 and 3 shaded; chin position slightly meri to achieve a G# on a 1.8.

I have seen charts for U  as 1, 2, 4, 5 closed, chin is meri to G#. And variations of this.

(There is also an U-meri written with a little circle on the tail of the U which requires more shading of the #3 Chi hole and a more meri chin position. The pitch U-meri is G on a 1.8, the same pitch as Re but having a very different timbre than a straight Re note.)

The U fingering Masa taught was more difficult, but comes in handy in honkyoku passages of U to Tsu-meri Some older shakuhachi sound U much 'better' with this more complex fingering. A teacher can elaborate more articulately and authoritatively.

Nice to see you at Peter Hill's class in Pomona, Eric!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#7 2008-08-21 20:31:52

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

As Ed pointed out, there are several fingerings for u that will work and of course you should consult your teacher on which is preferred.  I play both with hole #1 open (this is the bottom or tsu hole on the shakuhachi), and #3 hole open (chi) in a typical meri position.  This tends to give the correct pitch when the head and breath volume are coordinated though the tone is brighter.  The second fingering I use was already mentioned by lowonthetotem where #3 hole is slightely shaded and #1 hole is completely open.  This tends to give a darker tone color.  You said that Perry refurbished your 1.8.  Were all notes playable by him at that time?  How long ago was that?  Has your flute undergone any trauma?  If the flute is a two piece flute, are there any signs of cracks at or near the middle joint?  Is there anything lodged in or around either the second or third holes?  If you are able to rule out yourself as the problem by trying other flutes, then the problem has something to do with the peculiarity of the flute.  Time to run some tests.
As you can understand, making pleasant and desirable sounds from the shakuhachi involves a coordinated relationship between the part of the instrument that exists within your body and the part that exists outside your body.  The part outside being relatively fixed demands that the part inside be flexible and sympathetic to it.  This is the challenge.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#8 2008-08-21 20:35:35

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Try to play your ro, tsu, re, chi, and hi in as kari a position as possible, with help of that tuner, as axolotl suggested.  If you can do that with proficiency it may make it easier to drop your chin on the meri.  For u played in honkyoku our branch of Kinko partly covers 1st (bottom) and 3rd holes and completely covers 2,4,and 5; for gaikyoku it's the more standard 3rd hole open and all others covered.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2008-08-21 20:39:08)

#9 2008-08-21 23:54:35

shaman141
Website

Just wait until you start practicing playing RE and U-dai meri at he same pitch! Actually you could get a jump on it and start practicing that when you first start getting those notes!

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#10 2008-08-22 00:09:11

Moran from Planet X
Website

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

For u played in honkyoku our branch of Kinko partly covers 1st (bottom) and 3rd holes and completely covers 2,4,and 5; for gaikyoku it's the more standard 3rd hole open and all others covered.

Hi Dan, what particular branch of Kinko do you study? Sorry to digress, but my curiosity gets the better of courtesy.

-- Chris

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#11 2008-08-22 03:06:00

Bruce Hunter

Vevolis,
Consider the shape of your oral cavity. Forming the inside of your mouth to the shape of the vowel used for the note may be instructive. Making "RE" while playing RE may pull it a bit sharp. Making "U" while playing U should give it a distinctly hollow sound, and you can adjust from there. Making "CHI" while playing CHI will pull an already high Chi even higher, so consider "U", which will pull it lower, and find a (mid) point which gives you the sound you want. Generally, front and high vowel shapes will raise the pitch, low and back vowels will lower the pitch. Regardless of the above, the throat must be as open, relaxed, and resonant as possible, and so on throughout the entire air column.
I think I remember reading somewhere something about, getting a particular note is not all that important, it's the journey that you take to get there.
later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#12 2008-08-22 09:06:38

Vevolis
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

You said that Perry refurbished your 1.8.  Were all notes playable by him at that time?  How long ago was that?  Has your flute undergone any trauma?  If the flute is a two piece flute, are there any signs of cracks at or near the middle joint?  Is there anything lodged in or around either the second or third holes?  If you are able to rule out yourself as the problem by trying other flutes, then the problem has something to do with the peculiarity of the flute.  Time to run some tests.

Perry actually posted a video *This is an edit; why does the word "Vid-e-o" turn into "notation"* of it, I don't know if it's still available. The eBay link is still functional:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREAT-1-8-AUTHEN=TI … dZViewItem

The flute has a repaired crack that actually reaches the joint but nothing that effects the tonal quality (to my knowledge), the crack goes through hole #4, but I don't think it is very deep, you never know. I guess I never considered it. The bindings are surface. Maybe when I have some money I’ll have them inlaid and tightened. The only trauma to speak of is that I own it. Otherwise it's in a Tei Hei case and plastic bag in a place where my daschund can't reach it.

Unfortunately I haven't got another flute to try and aside from Debbie Danbrook, I don't know anyone who plays the instrument (perhaps I’m anti-social tongue). I haven't asked to try her flute; it looks far too expensive and might be a rude request. In either case, I was able to play the note with her (again, it's on and off) the tuning ends up being accurate when I pivot my head; it mirrors her Shakuhachi's tuning. I’m not good enough to tell if my Meri/Keri is “perfect” to tell if the instrument itself is out of tune.

Last edited by Vevolis (2008-08-22 09:08:44)

#13 2008-08-22 09:40:13

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

In that case, I would guess that it's a question of coordinating the two aspects of the instrument (bamboo and flesh).  If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to ask Debbie to play your flute to see if she notices anything unusual about those two notes.  I imagine that you've already expressed your concerns to her though.  I hope you find your sound in any case.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#14 2008-08-22 09:56:32

edosan
Edomologist

Vevolis wrote:

The flute has a repaired crack that actually reaches the joint but nothing that effects the tonal quality (to my knowledge), the crack goes through hole #4, but I don't think it is very deep, you never know. I guess I never considered it. The bindings are surface. Maybe when I have some money I’ll have them inlaid and tightened. The only trauma to speak of is that I own it. Otherwise it's in a Tei Hei case and plastic bag in a place where my daschund can't reach it.

Just to note: if Perry fixed the flute, it AIN'T the repair that's causing the problem (ie, leaks, for example). I also don't think the inlaying of the bindings is a useful expense. The bindings won't be appreciatively tighter than they are now, and bear in mind that even though the inlaid bindings look nicer, the strengh of the flute has been more or less compromised (depending on the wall thickness) by cutting into the bamboo to do the inlays.

One other thought: The flute may have a slightly 'weak' Re—not all that uncommon—and you just haven't got its measure yet. More long tones, please. How long have you actually been playing it?

I also want to reiterate Jeff's comments about playing everything as kari as possible (even as kari as NOT possible). At first, as beginning players, this will only seem to make it more difficult to get a good, reliable sound, but bear with it, and you'll find the sweet spot again in time as your embouchure develops.

New players, as has been said here before, tend to play flat (everything slightly meri) in order to get a good sound, but there will still come a time to suck it up and start playing in tune (more kari), and the embouchure will still have to be developed for that way of playing: more kari, and the lips are farther from the blowind edge, requiring a more focused airstream.

Last edited by edosan (2008-08-22 10:07:27)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#15 2008-08-22 10:58:28

lowonthetotem
Website

Just to note: if Perry fixed the flute, it AIN'T the repair that's causing the problem (ie, leaks, for example).

I can attest to this.  My 1.9 from Perry had a crack 4 or 5 inches long right below the utaguchi.  It was bound during the refurb process.  It is simply a non-issue.

#16 2008-08-22 11:16:06

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Thanks for the kind words on the repairs guys. I try my best but only time will tell how long my repairs last. I've worked on old flutes that were 50 years or older where I've had to redo bindings.  Traditionally, Urushi is used as glue and Ji to smooth over the inlays. That usually lasts a very long time, but probably not forever.

Scott, I think your flute is a very solid player. But, there is a chance that it may have sprung leak.  Does Ro sound? If Ro sounds well. There is no leak. You should ask your teacher to check it.

For those interested, here is the vid to Scott's Kyosui 1.8 . It was shot in May 2008.

I tried looking up on how to add BBCode for movies but none worked for me.
Anyone know to post a vid here?

Peace, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2008-08-22 11:30:42)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#17 2008-08-22 11:31:54

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

I tried looking up on how to add BBCode for movies but none I found worked for me.
Anyone know to post a vid here?

Hi Perry,

I may be mistaken, but I think the only way to post a video here is to link to it like you've done. I tried once to post an embedded Youtube video but couldn't get it to work. So, I just posted the link. However, I thought I remember seeing a Youtube video window directly on a thread. Has anyone been able to do this?

Ken

#18 2008-08-22 11:40:22

Moran from Planet X
Website

Scott, I'd be happy to test the flute for you and report back to you and Perry on it. I live in California but I've had no trouble shipping and receiving flutes from all over the globe.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2008-08-22 11:40:41)

#19 2008-08-22 11:44:17

Vevolis
Website

I think the flute itself is fine. When I owned the 2.4 I was constantly worried about cracks developing. This flute having a bound crack, I don't worry at all. It's very solid. Ro is very clear. I’m going to try some of the techniques mentioned when I get home.

I wouldn’t have looked to Perry for an upgrade (in search of a 1.8 for study) if I didn’t think his craftsmanship and repair work wasn’t phenomenal!

Also, it is very loud. smile

#20 2008-08-22 14:42:26

axolotl
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

How did that happen?  I was in Big Sur and had to ditch!  sad  Did Jeremy Wariner, my twin, show up in my stead?  I wish I could have made the group and private lessons.  Next time.

Chris Moran wrote:

Masa, Jim Thompson's teacher, taught me U as 2, 4, 5 closed with 1 and 3 shaded; chin position slightly meri to achieve a G# on a 1.8.

Exactly what Jim Thompson taught me as well.  1 shaded sounds 'better' than 1 closed.  A little airier and yet fuller, if that makes any sense.

#21 2008-08-22 14:51:28

Moran from Planet X
Website

axolotl wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

How did that happen?  I was in Big Sur and had to ditch!  sad ...

ROTFL! Wrong Jim Thompson student. Sorry. I love the sound of U in all of it's various fingerings. I was looking at a Tozan figering chart and it only has otsu-Chi-meri. No U.  No U?????! I must be Kinko-centric.

#22 2008-08-22 21:13:47

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Chris asked  "what particular branch of Kinko do you study? Sorry to digress, but my curiosity gets the better of courtesy."

Hi Chris,

I study with a branch called Chikudosha. It split off from Domon kai, Notomi Judo's style of playing, about 25 years ago.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2008-08-23 09:49:53)

#23 2008-09-03 08:33:48

Vevolis
Website

I tried all of the suggestions outlined above and had some pretty good results. Having hole 1 and 3 shaded (as opposed to 3 open) for U worked well, it was as responsive as any other note. Playing Kari also helped, though I don't think it would be suitable to get used to, especially when I take lessons. Actually, the most responsive session I’ve had with the flute is when I spent all of last Sunday working on music. When I picked up the flute (after fumbling around with synthesizers) it played better than ever, I didn't even need to play Kari or change fingering. It really does depend what state of mind and relaxation you're in. I'm usually stressed and stiff, like rigid galvanized conduit. (man-handled by electricians?!) Worst simile ever.

#24 2008-09-03 16:46:49

lowonthetotem
Website

It really does depend what state of mind and relaxation you're in. I'm usually stressed and stiff, like rigid galvanized conduit.

I hear you.  When I have trouble with any note and then stop and inspect what I am doing, crunching up my cheeks and face is one of the first problems that I notice in almost every case.  Have a smooth relaxed face always improves tone and just plain making a sound.

Board footer