Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-03 10:43:54

founder
Website

how to live our last day

We dont know how to appriciate the present. For those who TRY TO PLAY.This is unique opertunity  and key to the Temple (your body) Everything you need to know ,if?
you wish to listen, is there.I speek directly because of this opertunity.for those Buddists who have heard "we are lucky to have a human form" For me ,the gift of PRACTICE. Is like the stone in the oyster.there is the tip of the iceberg.

immovable wisdom

#2 2008-09-03 11:29:16

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: how to live our last day

Thanks for reminding us, Founder! many of us - or at least I - need to hear.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2008-09-03 14:43:46

JanF

Yes founder. For me playing a long tone and letting the body/mind absorb it is like diving in the now. Kind of meditation and part of my dayly spiritual practice.

#4 2008-09-03 16:41:27

lowonthetotem
Website

I make a point of practicing every morning.  Long tones for an hour then go through Kyorei at least once.  Starting on Choshi now, but it is new and everything starts slow.  I've been told that I could expect to play worse first thing in the morning, but I actually tend to play better in the morning than I do in the evening.  I generally noodle around with the flute in the evening, like today.  I am tooting around, mostly practicing the Furi technique required for Choshi.  No time to practice like the present, Buddhism aside.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#5 2008-09-04 01:47:47

YuccaBruce
Website

Much too advanced for me-I just come up empty handed just thinking about it.

#6 2008-09-04 09:26:25

lowonthetotem
Website

I just come up empty handed just thinking about it.

Maybe thinking about it is less profitable than it seems.  With both Kyorei and now Choshi, as I sit and think about the pieces, they become very daunting, and I would and still do get discouraged about the impending practice and inevitable frustration when I make mistakes, which are quite abundant.  But, when I just start looking at it one note at a time, then one breath at a time, and then one line at a time, it all starts coming together without much overt effort.  There is still the effort required to make myself practice, but as the practice goes on, the rest seems to take care of itself.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#7 2008-09-04 11:37:20

edosan
Edomologist

lowonthetotem wrote:

I just come up empty handed just thinking about it.

Maybe thinking about it is less profitable than it seems.  With both Kyorei and now Choshi, as I sit and think about the pieces, they become very daunting, and I would and still do get discouraged about the impending practice and inevitable frustration when I make mistakes, which are quite abundant.  But, when I just start looking at it one note at a time, then one breath at a time, and then one line at a time, it all starts coming together without much overt effort.  There is still the effort required to make myself practice, but as the practice goes on, the rest seems to take care of itself.

Hmmm. I detect a moral in there somewhere smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer