Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-14 13:28:40

radi0gnome
Website

Is it OK to store a two piece shakuhachi assembled?

I recently obtained my first two piece shakuhachi and was wondering if it's OK to leave and store the instrument (overnight in between uses) assembled. The real reason I'm asking this is because I'm wondering if I should get a bag for it that fits the assembled instrument or should I find some other way of storing it.

My concerns are that the male part of the joint could possibly expand while in storage and crack the thinner female part if I leave it assembled.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#2 2007-12-14 14:11:27

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Is it OK to store a two piece shakuhachi assembled?

Hi radi0gnome, I don't think you have to worry about leaving it assembled. Proper air tight storage is more important.
Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2007-12-14 18:49:50

edosan
Edomologist

In my experience, it's generally best to leave two-piece shakuhachi assembled, only disassembling for travel,
where fitting into a smaller space may be necessary, or for work on the bore. Repeated assembly/disassembly
can be hard on the joint.

It's also best to disassemble the flute by holding it at the joint with one hand and striking that hand firmly with
the other. Here's a link to an illustration of how it's done:

http://www.shakuhachiblog.com/2006/08/h … hachi.html

This method greatly reduces the tortional forces and leverage put on the joint when taking it apart.

The joint will generally contract and expand at the same rate as the rest of the flute.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2007-12-14 18:50:26)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2007-12-14 21:50:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

The joint will generally contract and expand at the same rate as the rest of the flute.

eB

Sometimes this is true, other times, alas, not. Which is one of the delights of nobe flutes.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2007-12-14 23:43:47

nomaD43

I have a two-piece 1.8 jiari that has rarely been taken apart. I have had the instrument since the day I started studying in 1992. I don't know how old the flute was when I bought it from my teacher (the flutes maker), David Duncavage. So, after 15+ years, it shows no sign of not being happy as a one piece flute that happens to have a joint in the middle.
Damon

#6 2008-09-01 23:09:33

ima_hima

I've recently started having to take my flute apart more often for travel, and I was observed doing so the other day by a friend (hi Tom!). He said that he was told that I shouldn't twist the flute (as I was doing) when assembling and disassembling it.

I did hammer on it first with my hand, as suggested above. (The shakuhachiblog seems to be temporarily down, btw.) The joint's fairly tight, and doesn't pull apart that easily.

This is the closest thread I could find on the subject. Any of you flute makers or collectors have any thoughts?

-Eric

#7 2008-09-01 23:48:39

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

Hello,

Kurahashi Sensei travels a lot and says that apart is the best, however, if you are going to take it apart a lot you should of course use something on the joint so that the urushi doesn't wear away.
He likes hair pomade. He's also said, from his experience, that you shouldn't ever store it together for a long period of time because the urushi can stick and then wear the next time you go to separate it.

I keep my flute together and use a tube with impact foam but for travel I also think that it's better to have it apart.

You can find more info on shakuhachi care on my website here: https://flutedojo.com/shakuhachi-guides

Specifically here: https://flutedojo.com/guides/shakuhachi-care-cracks

Jon~

Last edited by Jon Kypros (2024-03-30 19:35:21)

My site flutedojo. Craftsperson of Jinashi and Jimori shakuhachi for sale since 2002. Dai Shihan 'Grandmaster' and full-time teacher of shakuhachi lessons

#8 2008-09-01 23:56:29

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

The fact is there are downsides to keeping it together and to having it apart. Just do whatever is convenient for you and let the chips fall where they may.

I have had flutes which:

a. I kept together and the two pieces could not be separated
b. Kept together and became loose and could not be joined securely
c. Kept separated and then couldn't be put together again
d. Took apart and the joint got damaged
e. Some combinations of the above problems.

That's just the issues surrounding the male/female joining aspect. There are numerous other nakasuke issues regarding the rattan or other materials that make up the joint itself.

Moral of the story?

NOBE IS BEST WAY

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#9 2008-09-02 00:50:05

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Many minyou players here in Japan even travel with them in one piece, tightly secured in a case. They usually have a whole range as they have to play in different keys depending on the song and singer. The important point for that is that they are really secure so stress is not put on the joint.

I recommend hair pomade, whether or not you take it apart often.

If the 2 parts don't fit together after being apart, you most likely have a moisture problem. Check the humidity level. If it is high, wait until it has been low (around 40 or 50 %) for several days, then it might be okay.

If it is too loose, check if the humidity is low. If it is below 40%, I would not recommend getting another urushi coat to tighten it, as when the humidity rises again, it may not fit (too tight).

About twisting - there are different ways to make a hoso. One method results in a hoso which is not perfectly round. Sometimes a bit oval or just irregular. In that case, don't twist it. That is more on older shakuhachi. Most modern shakuhachi can be twisted.

Eventually the urushi will wear away, possibly become chipped also. At that stage I recommend you send it to a good professional shakuhachi maker for maintenance. Bad maintenance just causes more trouble as it doubles our work (or more!) to undo inferior work before we can even start!

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2008-09-02 00:52:06)

#10 2008-09-02 00:54:29

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku wrote:

a. I kept together and the two pieces could not be separated

Hi Brian
Also for this problem, as I said previously "Check the humidity level. If it is high, wait until it has been low (around 40 or 50 %) for several days, then it might be okay." Maybe even a week.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#11 2008-09-02 09:43:04

mrosenlof

On the other hand...

If you have a wooden shakuhachi with a corked joint like David Brown (among others) makes.  It is definitely best to store these apart.  The cork will compress and loosen the joint if stored assembled.  Cork grease or hair goo ( I use lip balm ) is a good idea here too.

Mike Rosenlof

#12 2008-09-02 21:32:29

ima_hima

Thanks, guys.

I actually prefer to keep it together, but I commute on my bike, and it occurred to me that if I fell off the bike, there would be less damage if it was apart: less pressure on the joint and less leverage on the flute overall, should I fall on top of it.

It's a pretty new flute, purchased new from Bonchiku at the NYC shakuhachi festival, so I think the joint is round. I'll continue to twist (if only a little) as I take it apart, and I'll use a little pomade (I think I may even have some left over from my greasier years).

-Eric

#13 2008-09-04 09:36:45

mrosenlof

Yes.  I typically keep my bamboo flute assembled.  The only time I take it apart is when it needs to be shorter.  Lately that has only when I ride my bike to my lessons.

Mike Rosenlof

#14 2008-09-04 12:04:04

nyokai
shihan
Website

I always keep my flutes assembled except when I absolutely have to fit them in something for air travel. I have had very few problems with the joints.

Board footer