You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-04 15:30:24

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

Trills Fingering Chart

Hi all,

I played a few months ago a contemporary piece for shakuhachi and saxophone from Ryo Noda called Murasaki no fuchi. It's written in western notation and the shakuhachi must play trills during two pages. Of course they're not traditional trills but western, on minor or major seconds, like in flute, saxophone or piano music.

I've benn looking for a trills fingering chart for shakuhachi but didn't find it. So I made one.

It will be useful only for western or modern music, maybe for jazz or impro, but if you're interested you can download it here : Shakuhachi-trills.pdf

Here's a jpeg version if you've got problems with special characters : page 1 / page 2

Feel free to send me your opinion, if you find better fingerings or any question...

#2 2008-09-04 15:44:39

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Trills Fingering Chart

I would love to hear the piece. Do you have a recording?

#3 2008-09-04 16:23:04

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

Sorry, we didn't record it.

#4 2008-09-05 03:20:46

Bruce Hunter

JF,

Thanks for sharing the Trill Chart. Much food for thought there.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#5 2008-09-05 04:56:02

caffeind

Hi JF Lagrost. What length shakuhachi/size saxophone did you play with? The notation doesnt clearly specify, and correspondence with Ryou Noda didnt make things any clearer. We ended up doing it on 1.8 and tenor, and transposed the sax part up or down a tone, I cant remember which. I had a really difficult time figuring out this piece.

#6 2008-09-05 12:15:21

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

We played with soprano saxophone (Bb) and a 2.0 shakuhachi (Bb).

Under the title of the score, Noda writes "for 2 saxophones in Eb or in Bb or shakuhachi and saxophone". It's not very clear for us but on the right of the first line you can read "shakuhachi in Bb".

Just beware of usual mistake saying that 1.8 is in D. On a D instrument, when you play a C fingering it sounds D ; on a 1.8, when you play D (ro fingering) it sounds D, so 1.8 is in C and not in D. Murasaki no fuchi has to be played on a Bb shakuhachi, that means ro sounds C (like on soprano and tenor saxophone), so that's a 2.0.

You can also play with a 1.8 if saxophone plays 1 tone higher, but he might have problems with multiphonic fingerings.

#7 2008-09-05 13:49:11

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Jean-Francois, thank you so much for sharing your trill chart!
It is very inspiring to see.
It is a very extensive chart you have made. I made a tremolo chart for a G# Taimu when Frank Denyer was to start composing but I didn't make mine so extensive.
I am looking forward to dive into your chart and see if there are some new ones!

Amicalement

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#8 2008-09-07 15:26:27

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

OK, Kiku, I'm waiting for your suggestions !

Board footer