Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Recordings
  •  » Pros: Please give us 'Top 5 Shakuhachi CDs No One Should Be Without'

#26 2008-09-03 04:08:33

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: Pros: Please give us 'Top 5 Shakuhachi CDs No One Should Be Without'

Thanks, Justin and Kiku, for the explanations; the pieces with names that have changed or that have several names, right.  It is quite complicated, as you say, Kiku, but considering the span of time we are dealing with, and all the players and lineages, I guess it's to be expected.  Glad that the summer workshop at Bisei went well, Justin; I would have liked to have attended.

#27 2008-09-04 04:29:02

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Justin wrote:

Anyone know of any recordings available by Okamoto Chikugai?

Okuda just got back to me with some vague answers regarding Okamoto Chikugai's recordings. He wrote that Okamoto  recorded a piece (he can't remember which) on a compilation LP with Komuso pieces played by different Myoan players. The recording came out perhaps 35 years ago from either Victor or Columbia. Perhaps something that could be in the ISS collection. I will ask about it as it is somehow exciting.

Okuda also said Okamoto privately recorded his repertoire on tapes. He emphasised that these recordings were not for appreciation but thought of as teaching material. Okuda suspects Okamoto left it with the Komuso kenkyu kai, but doesn't know for sure.

So far so good. It could actually be great to hear recordings of Okamoto, who was very knowledgeable in regard to the shakuhachi history and music. And he should have been a good player too - so it would be nice to hear.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#28 2008-09-04 12:05:42

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Kiku
That's great to hear that he recorded his playing. Thanks for the news!

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#29 2008-09-05 09:57:35

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

As promised, here is the info on the most amazing sankyoku recordings I have ever heard. Araki Kodo V recorded a 4 CD set in 2005. I had of course heard of Araki Kodo. As a shakuhachi maker, I have spend as much time as possible with great shakuhachi from past masters. The best shakuhachi I came across, were made by Araki Kodo II. Many of the other best shakuhachi I came across were made by other makers from Kodo-kai, Araki's school, both the generations of Araki Kodos and the accomplished makers studying under them and making for the school. Also when I had studied sankyoku previously, it had been under the inspiration of Araki Kodo III's recordings. So when my friend got this CD set, I was eager to hear it. But what I heard really surprised me. To me it was like a whole new level revealed. A depth of sankyoku which I did not realise existed. I knew then that if I wanted to play sankyoku, I had to find Araki Kodo V, and become his student.

It is a 4 CD set of Ikuta-ryu sankyoku, with shakuhachi, shamisen, koto and voice. The accompanying musicians are also of the finest quality and sensitivity. The singing is especially touching. I don't have the titles prepared in English yet. If anyone is able, please feel free to post the translation. The tracks are:
1      狭衣 
2     融    
3     六段の調    
4     尾上の松    
5     稚児桜    
6     狭筵    
7     秋の曲    
8     七小町    
9     八重衣    
10     嵯峨の秋    
11     茶音頭    
12     松風    
13     吼噦    
14     青柳    
15     乱    
16     桜川    
17     黒髪

For anyone who would like to order this CD set, please contact me offlist. There may not be many CDs left, but Araki Sensei may reprint it if there is enough interest. I have uploaded some sound samples of 3 tracks here:
http://justinshakuhachi.googlepages.com/arakikodovcd

Justin

Last edited by Justin (2008-09-05 10:06:19)

#30 2008-09-07 21:42:49

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Thank you everyone for your mails about Araki Kodo's sankyoku 4 CD set. He is selling them for 10,000 yen. That's about US$94. I will handle the packing and postage. If you have friends who are also interested, I can send more than one set to save postage. It would be really great if you could mention it to your teachers, students and friends too - it's such a great resource so it would be too much of a shame for it to go out of print. I'm sure can get enough people to encourage Araki-sensei to print a new batch.

If anyone has any trouble listening to the samples, please also let me know.
http://justinshakuhachi.googlepages.com/arakikodovcd

Justin

#31 2008-09-08 02:33:56

Elliot K
Website

Justin,
   This looks like a nice collection, and the soundclips are wonderful. I'm curious, though, about the Ikuta-only setlist. Is there much emphasis on Yamada tunes in Kodo-kai?

As near as I can tell, here's what the titles are:

1. Not quite sure of this one - first character is the "samu" of Samushiro (see #6), the second "koromo" (see #9) if it's Samugoromo I haven't heard of the tune (I'm more familiar with the Chikuyusha sankyoku) - but I'm no expert on kanji...
2. Tohru
3. Rokudan no shirabe
4. Onoe no matsu
5. Chigo-zakura
6. Samushiro
7. Aki no kyoku
8. Nanakomachi
9. Yaegoromo
10. Saga no aki
11. Chaondo (aka Chanoyu ondo)
12. Matsukaze
13. Konkai
14. Shin aoyagi
15. Midare
16. Sakuragawa
17. Kurokami

Last edited by Elliot K (2008-09-08 10:40:36)

#32 2008-09-09 14:24:38

James Nyoraku Schlefer
Dai Shihan
Website

I asked Kurahashi Yoshio and he tells me the translation of #1 is "Sagoromo" by Ichikawa Kengyo. It is a rare piece.

#33 2008-09-09 15:14:07

Elliot K
Website

Thanks, James! That one had me stumped.

• Index
  •  » Recordings
  •  » Pros: Please give us 'Top 5 Shakuhachi CDs No One Should Be Without'

Board footer