Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-15 21:12:12

Bruce
Website

What's the name of the thing

on the top of a buddhist walking staff?  You know, the thing with the three loose rings in a fixed ring at the top? 
The sounds from which are supposedly either to warn off unsuspecting critters or remind you to stay awake.

google is just no help sometimes...

thx

Everything is perfect, it just needs a little improvement.
        - Suzuki Roshi

#2 2008-09-15 22:48:12

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: What's the name of the thing

From our friend Wikipedia:

(needs citation)

A shakujō (English: monk staff, Japanese: 錫杖, Sanskrit: khakkhara, Mandarin xīzhàng, literally "tin stick") is a Buddhist ringed staff used primarily in prayer[1][2] or as a weapon[3]. The jingling of the staff's rings is used to warn small sentient beings (i.e. insects) to move from the carrier's path and avoid being accidentally trodden on. Ringing also is used to alert the faithful that there is a monk within earshot in need of alms. The number of rings is determined by the status of the user though most shakujō have six rings which represent the six states of existence (Humans, Animals, Hell, Hungry ghosts, Gods, and Jealous gods).

In Chinese monasteries, the abbot of the temple usually wields the staff during grand ceremonies. The abbot would usually take the shakujō and strike the ground three times, symbolizing the breaking of ignorance.

The wooden shaft can either be long for use as a walking stick or short to accompany in chanting. As a staff, the shakujō could be wielded as a weapon, in Chinese wuxia novels the shakujō is often the weapon of warrior monks, especially those of Shaolin Temple.

* Probably the most notable carrier of the staff is the bodhisattva Ksitigarbha (in Japanese, Jizo), the patron saint of children and travellers. He is usually depicted holding a shakujō in his right hand.

* Tengu are often depicted carrying/fighting with a shakujō.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#3 2008-09-16 01:23:56

Bruce
Website

Thanks Chris!

Now, if the whole staff is called a shakujo (also, as I've discovered, a khakkhara),
is there a separate term for just the top part?

Everything is perfect, it just needs a little improvement.
        - Suzuki Roshi

#4 2008-09-16 06:36:44

No-sword
Website

It's usually just called the "head" (atama) or "shakujō head" (shakujōtō) in my experience.

Maybe Gishin would know more -- I understand that shakujō are used in some Shōmyō pieces.

Last edited by No-sword (2008-09-16 06:37:03)

Matt / no-sword.jp

#5 2008-09-16 09:27:36

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

No-sword wrote:

It's usually just called the "head" (atama) or "shakujō head" (shakujōtō) in my experience.

Maybe Gishin would know more -- I understand that shakujō are used in some Shōmyō pieces.

That is correct.

Also the standard Shakujo has 6 Rings and then you move on to 9 rings and the 12 rings. Commonly in Japan you only see 6 ringers but sometimes you will monks of most likely Shugenja of Higher ranks with the 9 of 12 rings but this is quite rare. The rings represent the Paramittas (Haramitta)

As far as Shomyo it is mostly used for the Kujo Shakujo kyo. Wehn it is not in the Shakujo Kyo it will be used for singing the Heart sutra or the Shariraimon when doing Takuhatsu.

Sorry I am at work and I cannot install the Kanji inout system so I will post Kanji later.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

Board footer