Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-22 11:23:02

robert n.

greetings from the great white north (or at least the same country)

i am a card carrying 70 year old zen buddhist from orillia ontario canada. i took my precepts at the buddhist society for
compassionate wisdom in toronto which is about 1.5 hours south. i was given the buddhist name magadha. my reason
for wanting to play the shakuhach i goes back many years. i currently own and sometimes even play tenor sax and flute.
being a ward of the canadian government (i am on government pension) money is scarce. one day i found a websiite which
was advertising shakuhachi's made from some kind of i guess plastic? material that i could afford. when i received it i
checked the pitch against my flute and was pleasantly surprised  at the quality of sound produced. my main reason now for
wanting to play is for meditation. i have glanced at some of the posts on the forum and at first was a bit concerned as i had
no idea what was being said but here i am.

rob.

#2 2008-09-22 15:33:35

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: greetings from the great white north (or at least the same country)

Welcome to the forum.
You will get the hang of it very soon - if not the forum, then the playing!  And it is playing the shakuhachi that brings most joy smile
Looking forward to read your posts!

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-09-22 15:34:02)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2008-09-22 21:29:55

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Hello Rob,
Welcome to the forum and shakuhachi.  I spent many summers on the east side of Lake Couchiching where my grandfather had a cottage.  Beautiful place.
Undoubtedly you will have many questions as you move into the shakuhachi.  Please don't hesitate to post your questions and observations here.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#4 2008-09-25 01:33:52

robert n.

thanks to all who replied to my very first post on any forum. i tend to be i guess unsure of my own abilities but with such
        warmth and encouragement i cant help but to put  all my energy into what i believe will be a very rewarding travel on a path
        to enlightenment.

rob.
        _____________________________________________________________________________________

is it really the case that visual forms, sound and other sense objects are external to and seperate from our
        our mind, or is it that they are simply appearances like those in a dream? through the repeated investigation
        of this question in meditation we come to the conclusion that all appearances are actually arising from mind
        and have no other basis.

Board footer