Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-10-07 01:59:52

Benjamin
Website

kinko shape

Over all the kinko flutes I've seen, I was just wondering if there was any significance to the angle and shape of the triangular inlay.  Do different schools/makers usually stick to a specific shape?  Some out there are pretty wide with acute isosceles angles, then there are some that are barely there, some take up a lot of the blowing edge, others only the very bottom. Square, fat, tall, short, it seems they run the gamut.  Every piece of bamboo is different so it makes sense, and justly fitting; but nonetheless I had to ask.

Ben

Coming, all is clear, no doubt about it.  Going, all is clear, without a doubt.
What then is all? -Hosshin

#2 2008-10-07 10:24:52

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: kinko shape

Hi Ben,

Doing an inlay usually requires a little fudging to get it it to fit snug. We start with ideal shapes on both the bamboo and inlay material but when it comes to the actual fitting, one has to give. So the result may not be exactly what the maker intended.
http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/inlayrepair.jpg

Old flutes usually had steep insert angles. Here is a photo of a repair where I had to fit the horn to the existing cavity in the bamboo. On this kind of repair, I had to constantly adjust the shape of the insert in order to fit sung. On a new flute, the maker can fudge both the bamboo and the insert (shape and angle) making the process quicker. This would result in the slight variations on the final surface shape.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/sogawakinko.jpg

Here's an insert of an ivory Sogawa inlay over a Buffalo Horn Kinko to raise the blowing edge a millimeter. I made this 3.5 flute for Tairaku a few years ago. In actuality, I should have done the Sogawa inlay then since this really is not a Kinko flute.  I hope the flute doesn't become schizophrenic:)

Many professional makers in Japan will also do different inlays, mostly Kinko or Tozan.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-10-07 19:39:11

Peter Kororo
Website

Re: kinko shape

Hi Benjamin, it's an often overlooked aspect of modern vs. vintage shakuhachi: the angle of the utaguchi cut as well as the size and shape of the crescent in the tsunoire have an important influence on the sound and meri-kari playing of a shakuhachi. The steeper angles of modern shakuhachi (with important exceptions) and the larger crescent negatively affect both tone and meri playing, IMO. It's one reason I prefer vintage flutes (though again a couple of fine modern makers haven't followed the trend of steeper/bigger). I'm in the midst of preparing a much longer commentary on this, due.....soon, I hope.

Peter

“Many people come, looking, looking. Some people come, see.”
                        —Nepalese saying

Board footer