Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-09 19:28:29

Ted

Hi, now lets practice!

Hi, my name is Ted, and I am a beginner. I am studying with a great teacher that I don't deserve because I suck so bad. Because of this I try practicing hard all the time. Sometimes that flute feels glued to my hand as I cruise to the supermarket while practicing at stop lights. I may never stop sucking but I love this instrument so I'm willing to accept any result of my work. I have to go practice again because if my teacher ever knew how much I really suck he would probably tell me to put my flute out of its misery and swear to never play again. Better get back to sucking.

#2 2008-08-09 19:36:55

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Hi, now lets practice!

Welcome Ted. Funny introduction. Everybody sucks at first so join the club! wink Who is your teacher?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-08-09 20:43:52

edosan
Edomologist

Besides, it's the people who 'suck' who deserve great teachers the most.

Think about it...

Last edited by edosan (2008-08-09 20:44:08)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2008-08-09 20:49:33

radi0gnome
Website

Ted, I think you've tapped into the true essence of the musical experience. If all you wanted is good sounds, put on a CD.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#5 2008-08-10 04:20:05

Zakarius

Ted wrote:

Sometimes that flute feels glued to my hand as I cruise to the supermarket while practicing at stop lights.

If you're playing a bamboo flute (and not a PVC, plastic polymer or wood one), you should do a search on the forum regarding temperature differences and cracking -- might save you some further frustration.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#6 2008-08-10 09:01:48

Ted

Thanks for your welcoming posts. My teacher is Joel Taylor in Portland, Oregon.
Just like a very sick person relys on the best doctor, my playing ability needs a very good teacher.
Can you really get the same benifit from playing shakuhachi as you do from meditation practice?
The dangers of cracking an expensive bamboo instrument make me glad I have a Yuu shakuhachi for now.
Not that I don't love the tone of a great bamboo shakuhachi, but cracking one of these scares me.

#7 2008-08-10 19:54:29

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Ted, voids suck.  The process of filling has begun.
Enjoy the expansion.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#8 2008-08-11 19:33:09

axolotl
Website

Don't worry, Ted!  Once you master the basics, you'll find more complicated musical techniques to suck at later on!   Congratulations on finding a great teacher and starting a good practice.

#9 2008-10-16 21:11:47

Kyle Kamal Helou
Website

Hi Ted,

I am writing to you as my first write up on this forum! Specifically on the topic of bamboo cracking and splitting.  That can be quite a heartbreaking experience and I will share with you mine, and how I resolve it, and has never happened again. (Sorry in advance if it may be a long write up.)

I was living in Philadelphia, PA, and going for lessons once, sometimes twice a week in Princeton, NJ.  I had been using a Ji-nashi for lessons with a great and very patient teacher, who put up with my out of tune playing for a long time before I saved up enough money to buy me a well tuned ji-ari instrument in the late 90's.  But for almost 4 years, I used a ji-nashi instrument that got me going on this really wonderful and healing instrument.
I got my first Ji-ari instrument for a hefty amount, well worth the instrument because it is an antique instrument with with truly wonderful sound.

The point is, after one month, I experienced the worst, and I still remember how quickly my heart fell to the ground!

Here is what I did wrong:
I had left my instrument out in the open, without keeping it in a sealed plastic bag, (although now I recommend a double bag), in the fall season when it is dry and cold, by the window of my bedroom!  How ignorant could I have been!

I remember picking up my instrument and blowing in it.  No sound!  Just a hiss...  I blew again, and again, and it was still the same hiss.  Was it my playing, I wondered... I blew again, and the same hiss...  I examined my flute up close, and saw that it had split.  Oh! NO!!! what have I done...I thought to myself. 
I called my teacher right away, and he calmed me down, and said to come and see him tomorrow.

The next day, drove up to Princeton, where my teacher had been waiting to see what I had done with my newly purchased expensive antique ji-ari.  Good, I showed it to him.  He sealed it metal rings, put a mildly wet paper towel around the split area, and we sent it out to Monty Levinson for repairs, and he did a fantastic job.  Within two weeks I had my instrument back, and never has it or any other instrument I have owned split since that time.
It was an expensive lesson to learn, and in many ways, it made me appreciate the bamboo instruments much more.  Not to get metaphysical or surreal, but the fact is that they are living and organic instruments requiring proper care and caution. 

Although there are no guarantee they won't split, in the event you get a bamboo instrument in the future here is what I would recommend to avoid splitting:

1- Never keep your instrument without playing it out in the open for over 10 minutes, even here in Japan.  (That may be too much, some may think, however, the time it takes to slip your instrument into a bag and seal it with a rubber band is so small, compared with the feeling of seeing your instrument split!)

2- When not played, store your instrument in one plastic bag, seal it with a rubber band, and store it again in another bag and seal it.  Make sure no air can go in or out of the bags, and the bamboo is completely sealed in both bags.  This technique is called the "Double Bag technique", and I have never had any of my instrument split, even when I travel and take sometimes more than 15 instruments with me, in my carry on luggage.

3- When you take your instrument along on a trip, slip the double bagged instrument in a a carrying bag.  If you have a hard carrying case, with a shoulder strap, then you can just put your double bagged instrument in it, although I prefer to put the double bagged instrument in the carrying case which in turn I place in my hard carrying case.

This may seem a bit cumbersome, but once you get used to it, it will be like second nature.  Again, when at home, the double bag is really easy and most effective in most countries.

4- In the event that they do split - do not panic.  For a reasonable amount of money, you can get most instruments repaired.  Monty did the inlaid Rattan binding for me, and now, 10 years later, they have taken on the same color of the bamboo, aging together in unison.  This is most aesthetically pleasing and has given my instrument great character.  Although some may not like to cut into the bamboo skin, if done properly with the least amount shaved off, the results can be outstanding.

Again, sorry for this long write up, but this subject is one that I have shared, and thought you might benefit from it.

Take care and best of wishes
Kyle Kamal Helou.

Board footer