World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-10-17 18:43:27

airin
Website

Hello from Canada's west coast.

Hello All!

I’m new to this forum and am finding it very interesting and inspiring.

I don’t yet play the shakuhachi but am seriously considering it.  Over four or five decades I have played a variety of instruments, none of them well, all of them enthusiastically.  I don’t have much musical talent but I enjoy making some pleasant sounds.  I have played some guitar, baritone sax, trumpet, djembe and blues harmonica.

The idea of a very simple wooden flute has always had a warm place in my mind.  Perhaps now is the time to spend some time with this bamboo instrument.  It sounds like it is a natural partner with one’s Buddhist practice as well.

I live in Vancouver BC Canada and could arrange to study with the local shakuhachi musician, Alcvin Takegawa Ramos.  However I’m not sure that someone of my mundane music ability warrants such a fine teacher.  Also, of course there is price to consider.  One lesson is the equivalent to an entire months of fitness classes. I know, I know, you probably can’t compare the two, but when it comes working part time, even these rather boring details must be given consideration.

#2 2008-10-17 18:58:44

philthefluter
Website

Re: Hello from Canada's west coast.

There is no such thing as mundane in shakuhachi. It's all about your personal journey not what others may think. Al is very approachable. You are lucky that you have a good teacher nearby. Your encounter with shakuhachi cannot compare to a fitness class! Shakuhachi is in a different league.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2008-10-18 02:18:19

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

airin wrote:

I live in Vancouver BC Canada and could arrange to study with the local shakuhachi musician, Alcvin Takegawa Ramos.  However I’m not sure that someone of my mundane music ability warrants such a fine teacher.

That's what he's there for. In Japanese traditional music it is considered an obligation and honor to pass on your knowledge to other people. So don't be shy. Al's a nice guy.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2008-10-18 11:14:11

airin
Website

Thanks for giving me some perspective guys.

#5 2008-10-18 16:02:09

edosan
Edomologist

airin wrote:

Thanks for giving me some perspective guys.

Besides, why would you want to seek out and settle for a mediocre teacher just because you don't know anything yet?

Ignorance is no sin, and pretty easily rectified.

Especially by a teacher who knows what they're doing.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2008-10-18 17:20:15

YuccaBruce
Website

Airin- Alcvin Takegawa Ramos is not only at the top of the heap of players in the world, but is indeed a wonderful human being. I 1st met him @ a street fair in Ojai, Ca in 1997. He was vending awesome decorated pvc  digeridoos. he asked me what was in my should bag-I showed him my Yucca shakuhachi, then from underneath his table he reached for his instrument case. As the subjective lights went on he took out  his beloved shakuhachi-we played a bit, then I listened to him- I took my lesson that day..

#7 2008-10-18 22:41:10

airin
Website

Great encouragement, again thanks!

Alcvin is going to be in town during the last week of this month.  He offered to meet with me for a lesson.  I'm going to go for it!

Now that the decision has been made, I'm really excited!

I have another email in to him to set up the day and time and have asked him about the possibility of buying a shakuhachi from him.  I would really like to have a bamboo one as opposed to pvc.  It just seems to suit the personality of this part-musical-part-spiritual instrument that it be wooden not plastic.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will have something suitable for me.

#8 2008-10-19 09:14:13

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Al is a great player and teacher (and human being).
You won't be sorry.
And he will also set you up with a fine Shakuhachi.
You are in good hands.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#9 2008-10-19 15:59:55

airin
Website

Nyogetsu wrote:

Al is a great player and teacher (and human being).
You won't be sorry.
And he will also set you up with a fine Shakuhachi.
You are in good hands.

Thank you. 

That's great to know.

We've got a meeting set up for Oct 29th.  I'm pretty excited about meeting with Al and learning more about this amazing instrument.

Last edited by airin (2008-10-20 00:11:54)

Board footer