Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-09 16:33:58

Jim Thompson

multiple hankos

I  have a flute with 3 different and very classy looking hankos. How does this occur? Alterations? It plays as well or better than any flute I've played.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#2 2008-09-09 16:50:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: multiple hankos

When someone does major repairs or retuning sometimes they add their hanko. Also owners are permitted to put their hanko. Therefore your flute may have been made by Joe Blow, owned by John Doe and repaired and retuned by Everyman.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-09-09 18:36:47

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

When someone does major repairs or retuning sometimes they add their hanko. Also owners are permitted to put their hanko. Therefore your flute may have been made by Joe Blow, owned by John Doe and repaired and retuned by Everyman.

That Everyman, he's a DYNOMITE fixer, too!

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2008-09-09 23:05:13

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Jim Thompson wrote:

I  have a flute with 3 different and very classy looking hankos. How does this occur? Alterations? It plays as well or better than any flute I've played.

Hi Jim,

It's usually the original maker and the repair person, but sometimes a Ryu or a teacher will stamp their hanko on a flute.

I have stamped my hanko on many flutes that have had major repairs like retuning or internal plaster repair, but I always ask the owners first.

Tairaku wrote:

...your flute may have been made by Joe Blow, owned by John Doe.

Wow! These guys are legendary. They were part of the first punk shakuhachi scene in LA smile

Peace, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2008-09-10 06:22:21

Jim Thompson

Ah yes!  The infamous Joe Blow John Doe Dojo.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#6 2008-09-10 21:27:47

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

I have several flutes with multiple hanko. These are relatively old--from the 30s or 40s I think. I'm including a picture of two of them. The top line is the series of hanko on a 2.0, and the bottom is the series from a 1.7. I know two of the makers: one, with no border is--I am told by one of the Meijiro shakuhachi sensei--Chikusen, another is Yasuhiro (the rectangular one). I spoke to Endo-san, the son of the maker who now runs the Yasuhiro shop, and he told me that these guys used to work together on flutes, in a sort of round-robin. One would do the exterior and put his hanko, then the next would do the ji and put his stamp, then there were bore adjustments, and finally the tuning and finishing work (I think those were the steps, at least something close to that).

BTW does anybody recognize the final hanko, in an oval? He must have been good to have worked with these two other guys. As you might guess, these two flutes are monster players...

I find it quite touching that three master makers would collaborate on flutes. To me this lack of ego is one of the wonderful things about Japanese culture.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/kymarto/hanko.jpg

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2008-09-10 21:38:55)

#7 2008-09-11 13:43:58

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Toby,

Toby wrote:

...I spoke to Endo-san, the son of the maker who now runs the Yasuhiro shop, and he told me that these guys used to work together on flutes, in a sort of round-robin. One would do the exterior and put his hanko, then the next would do the ji and put his stamp, then there were bore adjustments, and finally the tuning and finishing work (I think those were the steps, at least something close to that).

I was told by Kinya that that is how the Chikusen Tami workshop operated. The apprentices worked their way through all the stages of construction, from washing and preparing the bamboo to the final stages of checking the flute for tuning and playability before they were sent out. But, only Tamai's Chikusen hanko was put on them.

BTW does anybody recognize the final hanko, in an oval?

The oval Hanko looks like the same kanji as your Chikusen, the unbordered one. Just a different style. The top is obviously the same - Chiku for bamboo - but I can't read the bottom one. I wonder if it's another hanko From Chikusen Tamai? Here's what the Tamai hanko looks like on the flutes I have:

http://www.yungflutes.com/ebayphotos/d430tenseif.jpg

Namaste, Perry

#8 2008-09-11 15:44:03

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

The oval Hanko looks like the same kanji as your Chikusen, the unbordered one. Just a different style. The top is obviously the same - Chiku for bamboo - but I can't read the bottom one. I wonder if it's another hanko From Chikusen Tamai? Here's what the Tamai hanko looks like on the flutes I have:

Is it Ebinuma Chikuyo?

My site flutedojo - jinashi shakuhachi bamboo flute maker.

#9 2008-09-11 18:03:33

indigo

Hello Toby and all

I have a flute with two of the hankos presented.

The lower right with the arrows and the ovals on the left.

When I received the flute I was told  that the maker was Ebinuma Chikuyo.

How is the sound of the flute pictured?

The sound of the Ebinuba flute I play is wonderful, a teacher in its own right.  New dimensions of sound continue to present themselves to me as I study the Jin Yodo Rep with Ronnie Nyogetsu Reshin Seldin.

Very exciting to see your photos of these hankos.

Does anybody know anything about the life of this wonderful maker, Ebinuma Chikuyo?

Thank you.

#10 2008-09-11 21:14:38

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Jon and indigo,

Thanks for your knowledge. I can only say that they are both wonderful IMO: with huge sound and very responsive. The 2.0 is especially notable, I think: my flutemaking sensei at Meijiro really wanted to buy it. The "arrows" you refer to are another presentation of "chiku". I believe that this maker was also a "Chikusen" or "Chikusan". The sensei I refered to above plays a 1.8 by the same maker, which he bought fifty years ago for 60,000 yen, which was quite a sizable chunk of change at the time. Could this be the father of Chikusen Tamai? I know that he died many years ago. Sensei spoke of him with the utmost respect, and considered him one of the really great makers. Perhaps I have to go back to Meijiro and find out more.

Toby

#11 2008-09-12 09:11:45

No-sword
Website

It's kind of hard to say for sure given the size/glare, but I'm actually pretty sure that all 6 of the hanko that aren't "Yasuhiro" in that set say 竹揚, Chikuyō. Here's another example of that second character in seal script, via this handy site:

http://no-sword.jp/images/misc/yo.gif

Perry's looks like 竹仙, which are indeed the kanji for (Tamai) Chikusen if Google can be trusted..

Matt / no-sword.jp

#12 2008-09-12 11:09:17

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

No-sword wrote:

It's kind of hard to say for sure given the size/glare, but I'm actually pretty sure that all 6 of the hanko that aren't "Yasuhiro" in that set say 竹揚, Chikuyō. Here's another example of that second character in seal script, via this handy site:

http://no-sword.jp/images/misc/yo.gif

Perry's looks like 竹仙, which are indeed the kanji for (Tamai) Chikusen if Google can be trusted..

Hi No-Sword, Thanks for the info! I don't know about Google but I can trust Kinya! I first saw the hanko in Japan.

I played Indigos' Chikuyo a while back. Great flute! I'm looking forward to seeing it again real soon wink

Best, Perry

#13 2008-09-12 16:32:06

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

ust Kinya! I first saw the hanko in Japan.

I played Indigos' Chikuyo a while back. Great flute! I'm looking forward to seeing it again real soon wink

Best, Perry

Hopefully not for repairs! wink

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#14 2008-10-20 13:31:46

Derek Van Choice
Website

fouw wrote:

This is his hanko on the flutes from that dojo: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/295 … cb.jpg?v=0

Somebody out there: is this shakuhachi a fine one?

I'll let you know in about 5 days... the one you have pictured is on the way to me from Japan right now.  I plan on repairing the chipped utaguchi and possibly some very ginger spot work to correct a couple of issues.  Has a very nice koten sound, as I understand.

UPDATE 11/2/08:  Indeed, this is an excellent shakuhachi!  Not positive of the actual maker's name, though?

Last edited by Derek Van Choice (2008-11-02 13:05:29)

Board footer