Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-21 19:59:14

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Losing a tooth...

I recently "lost" one of my back teeth... I was asking myself if I can play in the case of an loss of a front teeth... it can be a really sad loss... no apples...resuming;  good bye good bites... maybe no shakuhachi sounding with my breath!!!   

Someone of you have meet people with this problem? It's not already happening with me, but the hole between my good teeth made me think about the care about the good ones... and I think that the front ones are more important to play... 

A big hug and peace... 

Henrique

Omnia mea mecum porto

#2 2008-08-21 20:14:55

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Losing a tooth...

A friend of mine lost his teeth and replaced them with dentures. His playing suffered dramatically and it took him several years to get back to form.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-08-23 14:19:05

Yu-Jin

All depends on how many teeth were lost and how they were restored. Anything removable in the mouth (dentures, partials) will affect the speech a lot. You may try to play with several candies in your mouth to get an idea smile

Implants may be a good solution. Well made bridge should not change the speech either.
One thing I may recommend is going to the dentist to make models of existing teeth. When I work with patients without front teeth I even ask them sometimes to bring their pictures showing smile. That gives me at least some reference.

#4 2008-10-21 22:23:19

robert n.

over the years i have lost front and back teeth during which time i was playing sax and flute but not
continuously and had no trouble with my embouchure once i started again. however i have just started
to seriously learn to play the shakuhachi and am only playing long tones and octave intervals. now will come the biggest test of how much muscle memory i really have. today i had three back teeth surgically removed
and will not even be able to play at all for a while. i hope because i have just started that the impact will
not be too bad. i'm counting on sheer will and my zen meditation to overcome this setback.

rob.

Board footer