Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-24 06:39:49

Alex

Disc hernia - back muscles

Hello everybody,

It would be a big coincidence but I have been diagnosed a lumbar disc hernia and I was wondering if any of you had gone through the same thing and if you know if I should limit my Shakuhachi practice. I've been blowing lately and the pain does not increase but I do have to make some effort with my back muscles to squeeze all the air out, specially when blowing through long phrases or blowing a full RO, and I was wondering if it could make things worse.

This leads to a wider question? Are back muscles (lumbar) a key part on Shakuhachi playing or is it better to aim at not making too much effort with them? I guess it depends on the player, for example, I saw a video of Yamaguchi Goro and Aoki Reibo playing "Shika no Tone" and I notice that while Aoki Reibo's face showed effort Yamaguchi's face was quite relaxed, as if he was not making any effort blowing. I read also that we have to look for the places where our flutes resonate optimally;  is it possible to increase the volume not by blowing harder but by finding those sweet resonance spots?

Gracias y mucha salud para todos

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#2 2006-08-24 19:14:24

PSTL

Re: Disc hernia - back muscles

Alex wrote:

I've been blowing lately and the pain does not increase but I do have to make some effort with my back muscles to squeeze all the air out, specially when blowing through long phrases or blowing a full RO, and I was wondering if it could make things worse.

Please consult your doctor, but anything that causes pain can't be good for you. Perhaps until you have a handle on this you shouldn't worry about squeezing out all the air. Now may be a good time to just focus on pitch and perfecting your sound quality, rather than going for volume or length of note.

I've only been playing for two years, but when you hit that sweet spot you know it and it has nothing to do with volume (at least for me). Some of the best times I've spent playing have been when I just focus on the quality of sound, at the lowest possible volume.

In other words, volume isn't important. Take it easy and don't make it painful.

Take care and heal quickly.

Phil

Last edited by PSTL (2006-08-24 19:17:36)

#3 2006-08-25 03:41:10

John Roff

Hi Alex

I've had a herniated disc for about 9 years, and I've found the best treatment is exercise, taking care to avoid pain. There are certain ways to bend and pick things up which are better than others, which a physio can help you with. These injuries usually clear up with time.

I have only ever played Shakuhachi with this injury present, and I think my playing has probably helped ease the pain and discomfort. I breathe in deeply, and if it's not sore, I keep doing it. I think the breathing in deeply may speed the healing, getting more oxygen around the body. But do also ask your doctor. A chiropracor may give other helpful perspectives.

Cheers

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#4 2006-08-25 08:01:43

Alex

Hi there!

Thanks so much for your answers. Phil, yes, I guess I ll just have to focus on other aspects of playing, like getting that beautiful sounds that fill the room but are not loud at the same time. It s always diffictul when something makes you change your routines but I guess it s always better to use it as an opportunity for exploring other areas.

John, thanks for sharing your experience, I also think it can have some therpeuric effect when used properly, I ll just explore what makes me feel better or at least not worse! And as you say, a bit extra oxigen is always welcome. Anyway, I ll check with a health proffessional just in case!

Thanks a lot!

Salud y bienestar para todos

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#5 2008-10-27 21:35:27

robert n.

hello alex.
i have similar back problems. i was taught to play long tones and blow from the diaphragm from every teacher
over the years on various instruments. not knowing your musical history i may be telling you things you
are aware of. it was pounded into my head both from teachers and other musicians. that you breath from the diaphragm. if you do this you should have no back problems from playing as it's not the back muscles you use to control the amount of air.

rob.

Board footer