Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2008-10-21 23:05:42

Kyle Kamal Helou
Website

Re: New to the forum. Yoroshiku Onegai Itashimasu. よろしくお願い致します!

Thanks Perry,

As a newbie it is expected to be picked on, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it is done with good intentions and in good spirits!  I think Gishin-san had both.

Kyle.

#27 2008-10-21 23:54:52

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Kyle.
I didn't follow the thread but I woud like to say welcome to the forum!
The picture on your avatar makes me a little curious. How long is your flute?
And then... you live in Tokyo and Dubai? That makes me curious too.
Sorry to be such a nosy person smile

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-10-22 00:26:45)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#28 2008-10-22 01:39:36

Kyle Kamal Helou
Website

Hi Kiku,

Thank you for your welcome note.  I don't mind your questions, they are indeed good questions.

My flute:
The flute in my avatar is my 2.1 made by Mr. Yamaguchi Shuugetsu. 

Japan/Dubai:
After completing the Karate Instructor's Program (2005-2008 at the JKS Headquarters in Tokyo - in my intro), my wife and I did some thinking for the benefit of our children.  While I lived half of my life in the US (14-28 years old) and became a citizen there, I am Lebanese of origin and lived there from birth till I was 14 years old.  My wife, being Japanese, has been wanting to expose our children to the culture of the Middle East, being that they are both Japanese and Lebanese.  I have two brothers already living in Dubai and I am in the process of starting a Karate and Shakuhachi Dojo there.  Although I am still residing in Japan, I am going back and forth until things get settled in Dubai in order to bring my family there, making it a halfway point between Lebanon and Japan.

Kyle.

#29 2008-10-22 02:11:55

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kyle Kamal Helou wrote:

Although I am still residing in Japan, I am going back and forth until things get settled in Dubai in order to bring my family there, making it a halfway point between Lebanon and Japan.

Similarly I live in Tasmania because I am from Milwaukee but also lived in Rome and NYC. Therefore Tasmania is a good halfway point between all those places. lol

And I also play Shugetsu flutes! cool

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#30 2008-10-22 03:12:15

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Hey Kyle,
It was the exact same intention that brought me, my first partner and first two kids to Japan.  I now have four kids, a different partner (my first partner passed away) and I haven't regretted a bit of it.  I wish you all the best in Dubai.  My two eldest kids have visited there 3 times and found it a wonder.

Last edited by Jeff Cairns (2008-10-22 03:12:53)

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#31 2008-10-22 04:20:19

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Very nice. Thank you for your answer!
I have a Shugetsu flute too I use for 2 of my contemporary pieces.

You absolutely have to keep me updated on your Dubai Shakuhachi Dojo. It is just so fantastic how the shakuhachi is being introduced to so many parts of the world ! ! ! I have done some research into where there are shakuhachi players and teachers around the world, and would really like to keep updating whenever I can.

I am half Japanese and American, but since my father (who is from the US) had to get political asylum in Sweden, the family had quick and dramatic move to Scandinavia from Japan where I was born. I grew up in Denmark. I have since lived in Japan, New Zealand, Guatemala, Switzerland, UK and the US. My challenge now is to get down to only one base. I have moved half the time to a small town in the Western part of Denmark near a meditation center. I love it there. I hope soon to let go of London and move there full time.

So, that is my story behind my curiosity.
Thank you, Kyle, and also Tairaku and Jeff for sharing.

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-10-22 04:22:17)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#32 2008-10-22 05:46:41

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Welcome to the forum Kyle. Interesting personal history...  I can also relate to the positive inter-relation of martial arts and shakuhachi playing after experiencing several years of teaching weekly shakuhachi lessons following a morning aikido session.  Swimming, yoga, karate, or kenjutsu would probably work just as well...

#33 2008-10-30 18:34:19

Kyle Kamal Helou
Website

Thank you Daniel for your welcome post and Jeff for your kind encouragements.  Sorry for my late reply as my son got down with a pretty bad flu, which got to me but not as badly as him.  We are all better now and I am also getting ready for my trip on Sunday to Dubai and Lebanon for three weeks.

Best regards to all.  Take care and speak to you all soon.

Kyle.

Board footer