Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-06 13:09:18

airin
Website

audio file for basic notes?

I'm looking for an mp3 or other sound file that would allow me to hear the notes of the basic scale so that I can compare them to what I am trying to play.  For example, I'm still not quite sure what "Ri" should sound like.

Maybe someone out there could record the basic notes on a audio file and even just send it to me?  If its not to big a deal to do, I'd really appreciate it.

thanks,
Erin

Last edited by airin (2008-11-06 13:10:55)

#2 2008-11-06 14:04:19

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: audio file for basic notes?

Hi Airin,

Here's an old track made from a flute I had a while back.  - 1.8 Shakuhachi Scale

This is the basic Minor Pentatonic Scale. The last half plays  a Chi Meri and the Ha notes in the beginning of the third octave (the most difficult and often used notes in traditional shakuhachi music). This brings it into  the Japanese Insempo scale.

best, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2008-11-06 14:05:09)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-11-06 14:17:59

airin
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Hi Airin,

Here's an old track made from a flute I had a while back.  - 1.8 Shakuhachi Scale

This is the basic Minor Pentatonic Scale. The last half plays  a Chi Meri and the Ha notes in the beginning of the third octave (the most difficult and often used notes in traditional shakuhachi music). This brings it into  the Japanese Insempo scale.

best, Perry

How beautiful!

thank you Perry.

#4 2008-11-06 18:07:55

airin
Website

Guys, I really appreciate your help. 

Jaybee, the sound file you emailed was perfect.  I'm practicing playing along with it.

fouw, I know you tried to send a clip as well but it didn't attach.  Perhaps you could try again.  Or, alternately, can messages be sent right within the forum?

again, thanks,
Erin

Board footer