Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-26 22:52:46

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

A visit to Justin in Tokyo

Justin, a member here, and I have been in contact, and I finally had a chance to visit him at his studio near Tokyo. First surprise what the space he has: an abandoned pipe-organ factory, with a full disassembled pipe organ sitting in a huge and high room, the likes of which I have rarely seen in Japan. Apparently the room was designed to mimic the church space in Europe where the organ was installed. The acoustics are fabulous.

Justin has scores of flutes in various stages of manufacture, and we spent a lovely afternoon and half an evening talking, comparing and trying various flutes: some on my own, a number of interesting historical and modern flutes from his collection, and various jiari and jinashi flutes he has made or is in the process of finishing. The next surprise lay there. His jinashi flutes are excellent, and some do indeed play right up to the top of dai-kan. But even more surprising to me were his jiari flutes. Though they had diverse tone colors and characters, all were uniformly superior players, with excellent intonation, balance and response. I have spent many hours playing the various flutes by well-known makers that are on sale at Meijiro and other places, and in my opinion Justin's flutes are the equal of all and superior to many.

As an amateur maker myself, and in contact with other amateur makers of various skill levels at Meijiro, I had expected that Justin's flutes would be OK, but with all the various inconsistencies and shortcomings of almost all amateur-made (and many professionally-made) flutes. I was hugely impressed. One look down the bore of his jiari flutes gave me at least part of the answer: I have rarely seen bores as nicely finished as these. But of course that is only half the secret; the dimensions are most important of all, and Justin seems to have a rare command in that area. It seems to me that many modern makers hit upon a working formula and stick to that, and one finds that while their flutes are well balanced in all important aspects they are very much alike. Other makers seem more hit-and-miss, with some fabulous flutes but many others that have problems in one area or another. Justin's flutes, at least the ones that I tried, all had distinctive character but all were of the highest standard in terms of intonation and response.

Justin is also impressive as a player, and because of this, I think, has the discrimination to tell when and where a flute needs improvement. The fact that he also has the knowledge and skill to then adjust the flutes to satisfy himself as a player is unusual. It is, I feel, a rare combination of talent in both fields of playing and making, and it shows in his flutes.

Unfortunately I have not had the chance to visit the other makers who are members here, so I cannot comment on their work, but after my visit with Justin I do think that if anyone has the chance to visit him or to try his instruments they will not regret it.

Toby

#2 2008-09-27 07:16:56

philthefluter
Website

Re: A visit to Justin in Tokyo

I agree with all Toby said about Justin's shakuhachi. I had the opportunity to met Justin in Sydney and hang around the makers stand. His work created a lot of interest and impressed many of the leading performers at the festival. I will definitely try to make a visit next time I'm in Japan.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2008-09-28 22:51:25

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Toby
Yes it was very nice to meet you finally. Your Okuralo/Okraulo was very interesting - thanks a lot for bringing that. Rather confusing for me having so many holes! Nice that it's possible to use meri kari. I'd like to hear recordings of music composed for it. Also your Chikudo was nice. Good sound. You yourself also have a great sound. Must be all your flute training! Really good tone, volume and good control. If you study well the traditional playing, I have confidence that you can become a very good shakuhachi player. Gambatte kudasai!

Philip, you're welcome to visit. It was very nice to meet you there in Sydney. Also thank you very much for your lovely Celtic honkyoku book!

Thanks for all the positive feedback and interest. For those of you visiting my website, I have much to update about history, lineage etc. I'll let you know when I have the new information ready.

Best wishes
Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2008-09-28 22:53:28)

#4 2008-09-29 23:08:02

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I too had a chance to play Justin's flutes in Australia and was very impressed. To the point that soon I hope to have several of his flutes in my possession available for my students, (and lucky me) and anyone else. I found the ones that I played in OZ to be very in tune, balanced and responsive. They seemed to be made to cater to play the Yokoyama style honkyoku.  Of course Justin  knew that I studied with Yokoyama and play and teach mostly that style so he showed me flutes that he thought I would be interested in. The sound of these flutes did indeed have a powerful core that was easy to extend along with ease of using the techniques for the honkyoku and Yokoyama's modern music . However, conversations I've had with Justin reveal what Tobi says in that he doesn't seem to be limiting himself to any one style but has /is developing his craft to be able to cater to several styles. Thus he studies with teachers from various sects and owns some vintage flutes from each style. I think this is the most important factor in being able to make flutes and craft flutes for a variety of individuals: being able to play the music yourself. (Would you trust a mechanic who can't drive a car?).  Of course, flutes are somewhat difficult to just talk about so if you are seriously interested in owning one of these or would like to talk more about them, contact me via email.

Last edited by chikuzen (2008-09-29 23:08:52)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#5 2008-11-10 18:21:54

FrederickC

Hi all,

I visited Justin in Tokyo mid October and have been too busy to make a comment here about that visit.
So here goes.
While drinking a lovely cup of Japanese green tea ( one of the great pleasures of existence) Justin checked out all the flutes I was traveling with and gave some very detailed comments about their tuning.
( this is very interesting and useful for me).
We also looked at a small piece of  komuso music that I was interested in which is the call and response piece that Komuso used to play when meeting each other in their travels on the road. I was able to check out some of his flutes by venerable Japanese makers that he had in his studio and it was a pleasure to experience the quality of those instruments. Justin is an exceedingly focused individual which I appreciate. He practiced meditation in the Himalayas for a number of years evidently and in Japan has been studying shakuhachi playing and making with some of the best people available over the last few years.
I am sure over the years Justin will become a great resource to the Western shakuhachi community. 
I highly suggest that if anyone is visiting Tokyo and they are on the road of development of their shakuhachi studies that they contact Justin and visit him. Also as he is an up and coming shakuhachi maker ( who makes high quality instruments) you may woish to check out some of his flutes.
All in all a very worthwhile visit for me.
Thanks for your generosity and open-ness Justin.

Frederick   smile

Last edited by FrederickC (2008-11-10 18:34:10)

#6 2008-11-14 02:43:05

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. I am glad you are liking my shakuhachi. It has been nice meeting people from all over the world, all connected by this sound of bamboo.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Board footer