Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-14 08:24:04

david

taim-yuu?

I think I have given up on ever purchasing an expensive shakuhachi! But you never know, my luck could change. Anyway, everybody knows and owns the yuu. I have been playing it alot more now that winter has arrived here in Germany.
I was wondering when the pro makers would do the same with their flutes? Such as a plastic mold of a 2.4 taimu? Just wondering if anybodys thought of this? It would be great to have an indestructable larger jinashi for a couple hundred bucks!

david
'Listen to the words of no man; listen only to the sounds of the wind and the waves of the sea.,~Claude Debussy

#2 2008-11-14 08:32:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: taim-yuu?

There have been numerous posts on this topic. Probably if you search "wide bore plastic Taimu" or some combination you will find the threads.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-11-14 10:43:12

Lorka

Hi David,

I spoke to Ken about this same issue earlier this year.  It is something he is working on.  I think, however, that even if makers you like were to create non-bamboo, inexepensive flutes made of plastic, you would still find yourself wanting a bamboo one.  I guess it all depends what you are looking for.  I can relate to the high cost of these instruments, but all "good" instruments come at a cost.  Once you get over the price shock, you realize it's often not so daunting (or unreasonable).  Most people price their flutes in an honest way and are not out to profit on the gullible.  If you save up, you would be suprised how quickly you could get a flute you wanted.  Put aside $100 a month into a flute fund, and in a year you have a decent amount to put toward something nice.  There is also the David Brown option, which is much, much nicer than a Yuu.  Yes, it is not bamboo, but DB flutes are good quality.  Just ask around.  Monty's flutes are also of high quality and he is a very apporachable guy.  You could speak to him if you wanted to go in the jiari direction.  That probably did not help you, but don't give up.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#4 2008-11-14 15:31:29

david

Thanx Lorca,
That was helpful! i did not know that Mr. Lacoose was working on something like that.
I don't know how many times I have started a flute fund;( I think I'm going to have to try again!

Thanx!!

david
'Listen to the words of no man; listen only to the sounds of the wind and the waves of the sea.,~Claude Debussy

#5 2008-11-15 07:34:08

radi0gnome
Website

david wrote:

I was wondering when the pro makers would do the same with their flutes? Such as a plastic mold of a 2.4 taimu?

I think the misconception that the Yuu is an exact replica of a real shakuhachi is coming into play again in this discussion. The fact is that only the outside is an exact replica and is mostly for aesthetics. The bore isn't, that's why the hole is so off-center at the bottom. I'm not sure what Ken or any of the makers are working on as far as making long plastic shakuhachi, but in my mind if they can keep costs down by simply doing their magic on a piece of PVC (or some other plastic) tubing rather than making a bigger Yuu, I'd think it would be a very cool thing.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#6 2008-11-15 13:23:21

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

david wrote:

I think I have given up on ever purchasing an expensive shakuhachi! But you never know, my luck could change. Anyway, everybody knows and owns the yuu. I have been playing it alot more now that winter has arrived here in Germany.
I was wondering when the pro makers would do the same with their flutes? Such as a plastic mold of a 2.4 taimu? Just wondering if anybodys thought of this? It would be great to have an indestructable larger jinashi for a couple hundred bucks!

Hi David,

The challenge with making a low cost plastic shakuhachi is developing a method that can produce a good flute with less labor and/or cost than a bamboo shakuhachi. Good flutes require subtle adjustments which are difficult to mass produce. I do find it an exciting challenge but it's certainly not an easy one! I'll keep you posted how it develops.

Ken

#7 2008-11-15 15:22:22

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

I'm not sure what Ken or any of the makers are working on as far as making long plastic shakuhachi, but in my mind if they can keep costs down by simply doing their magic on a piece of PVC (or some other plastic) tubing rather than making a bigger Yuu, I'd think it would be a very cool thing.

I agree Charles in terms of cost as well as design philosophy. My particular approach to this is that the design should fit the unique properties of the material rather than take on the unnecessary limitations of bamboo. Plastic begs for a utilitarian design. As Horst says, "If useing plastics, leave thoughts of the Bambusses away. Is best way."

Board footer