Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-21 11:03:43

fey

My first shakuhachi

Hi, I'm sorry if there is already a topic for this but I could not find any.

I'm about to buy a shakuhachi but I don't know which one. There is no places in Finland you can buy one so I have to order from internet. The broblem is that I don't much about them so if someone could recommend a shakuhachi that costs atmost 100-150€ and could be delivered to Finland I woud appreciate it wery much.

#2 2008-11-21 11:27:21

philthefluter
Website

Re: My first shakuhachi

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of posts about this. Most people recommend a 'yuu shakuhachi'. You will find them easily with a google search. Check out the European Shakuhachi Society webpage. There will be a summer school next summer in Europe.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2008-11-24 10:44:26

lowonthetotem
Website

Re: My first shakuhachi

My first was a "Middle Eastern" shakuhachi, and it cost less than $20.  I would only recommend it if you have no idea if you want to pursue it or not.  If you think your interest may (or may not) fade after a few weeks, it is best to spend as little money as possible, and this is a significant savings in comparison to the Yuu.  And, yes I can say from experience that they are "real" shakuhachi.  Very Jinashi though, no inlay or laquer at all, rather small holes, and kind of difficult to play, but that will pay off when you get a better one later.  The 1.8 is the "DD" model.  After a few weeks you will want to get a better one though, at least I did.

If you are sure that this is something you want to pursue, I might even forego the Yuu and invest a few more dollars and get one of Perry Yung's Earth models, or even better.  Nothing against the Yuu.  I have one and enjoy the "go anywhere" aspect of it, but you will enjoy a bamboo flute even more.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

Board footer