You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2008-11-27 13:40:12

Vevolis
Website

Re: Dog skin needed

edosan wrote:

Vevolis wrote:

Before an age of richly synthetic materials, animal skins were used to create any number of things. I'm certain once upon a time; a well positioned cat nipple could define the acoustic qualities of an instrument. I don’t see anything wrong with honoring tradition by revisiting an idea or practice. On that note:

Animals (and humans) are notorious for dying at some point. You don’t need to slaughter a dog or cat to get its carcass. I'm sure your local taxidermy may be of some assistance. If your animal skin has an indent saying “Goodyear” on it, it probably came from Canada. This is fairly common.

The nipples are to show that the skin is properly applied and centered across the do.

And, don't taxidermists generally keep the skins of critters they mount, as part of the mounting process?

Just sayin'...

Well, yes... but i'd imagine if given the opportunity, a Taxidermist might sell some cat fiddlybits ever so often, you know. Save some work, make some money.

#27 2008-11-27 14:38:06

lossafunk

Tairaku wrote:

I can get you some kangaroo skin. lol

How thick is a kangaroo skin? Would it be a good hide to use on djembe? Mine is goat now. Is there a particular reason they're done with goat? would kangaroo work?

-gravity sucks-

#28 2008-11-27 16:04:53

edosan
Edomologist

Goat skin is thin, resilient, and pliable--great for certain types of drum heads. Plus, goatskin is quite available in the lands of the djembe.

Depending on what part of the hide and species it's taken from, kangaroo skin is also thin, lightweight for its strength, and very tough. The best baseball cleats and soccer shoes have always been made from kangaroo skin; more likely it's some synthetic that's used often nowadays, as places like California ban the use of it (drawing the line 'somewhere'...).

Last edited by edosan (2008-11-27 16:05:41)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer