Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-26 04:53:23

Mike
Website

... and another one: YUGURE NO KYOKU

YUGURE NO KYOKU is played on a 1.8 standard length SHAKUHACHI. I posted it on my myspace player.
http://www.myspace.com/mikeshakuhachi
As always I would appreciate your commenting on it.
Thank you all again for reading this and listening to my music.
Mike

I wish I would have found this instrument much earlier in my life. But I didn´t know that I was searching for it all those years.

#2 2008-11-26 20:48:25

KenC

Re: ... and another one: YUGURE NO KYOKU

Mike,

Thanks for sharing, i rally enjoyed the feeling that piece instills .  I believe thats the frst time i've heard that piece, it certinly won't be the last!

Ken

#3 2008-11-26 22:09:45

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Mike
You have a lovely tone. Nicely done! The only constructive criticism I might have is about pitch. It is difficult for all of us of course, but if possible I would recommend  trying to lower the pitch of your meri notes. At the moment, your tsu meri notes are usually at the pitch of tsu chu meri. Also chi meri and u (in kan) are quite sharp. I would recommend you try to practice playing kan no u, then re, the kan no u, then re, etc, and trying to get the 2 notes to have the same pitch. It's a great practice technique as it gives you instant feedback as to whether you are sharp or not. Tsu meri is more difficult, but you could try playing to a tuner sometimes, playing ro, then playing tsu meri, and trying to get it the note one semitone above ro. Ideally it would be a bit flatter than that Western note, but if you can get it at least to the Western note, that will give you a great start.

Another great practice technique is to try to get the pitch of tsu meri down to ro. For example, play tsu meri (down to ro pitch), then ro, then tsu meri (down to ro pitch) then ro etc. That is usually very difficult in the beginning, but when you can do that, you will find that regular tsu meri becomes very easy. Also, remember to practice in both otsu and kan. Kan will be more difficult.

Then when you habituate yourself to a good relationship between the pitch of tsu meri and ro during practice, when you come to play the piece, it will be easier. You could even play the piece slowly while still looking at the tuner sometimes.

Keep up the good work!

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#4 2008-11-27 04:55:06

Mike
Website

Ken,
thank you very much for your comment. I am glad I was able to awake your attention to this wonderful piece. (And I'm a bit proud of having been able to transport its special feeling to you.) Thank you, Ken!

Justin,
thank you very much for your detailed analysis and most helpful pitch practicing suggestions. However, assumed that I have understood my teacher correctly, there are some tsu meris, chi meri and u notes that are to be played as 'raised' ones. But of course I do agree absolutely that working on these very important differences/equalities in pitch are most essential for the improvement of my playing. Thanks again!

Mike

I wish I would have found this instrument much earlier in my life. But I didn´t know that I was searching for it all those years.

#5 2008-11-27 06:10:11

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Mike
An example would be at 1:22 into the piece, you play "ha tsu-chu-meri ro". I suspect that note may be meant to be tsu meri. I know what you meant about some higher pitches for meri notes. Kurahashi Yoshio taught me high pitch for meri notes for the "ancient" (but not modern, for example Ajikan) honkyoku as passed down from Jin Nyodo. However in Kinko-ryu the meri notes have traditionally been deep. A nice reference is the recordings of Araki Kodo III who was probably the first head of Kinko-ryu to be recorded.
http://shakuhachi.komusou.jp/kinkoryuu/kinkoryuu.html

Best wishes
Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#6 2008-11-27 09:28:12

KenC

Mike,

I am an avid hiker and backpacker.  Its not unusual for me to listen to a piece and be reminded of, and brought back to a past peak or area i've visited. 

Justin,

A timely bit of info in your post.  My teacher has been working with me on those same issues!  Your sugestions will certainly get a try. Thanks..

KenC

#7 2008-11-27 10:37:53

nyokai
shihan
Website

Justin wrote:

I would recommend you try to practice playing kan no u, then re, the kan no u, then re, etc, and trying to get the 2 notes to have the same pitch. It's a great practice technique as it gives you instant feedback as to whether you are sharp or not. Tsu meri is more difficult, but you could try playing to a tuner sometimes, playing ro, then playing tsu meri, and trying to get it the note one semitone above ro. Ideally it would be a bit flatter than that Western note, but if you can get it at least to the Western note, that will give you a great start.

Another great practice technique is to try to get the pitch of tsu meri down to ro. For example, play tsu meri (down to ro pitch), then ro, then tsu meri (down to ro pitch) then ro etc. That is usually very difficult in the beginning, but when you can do that, you will find that regular tsu meri becomes very easy. Also, remember to practice in both otsu and kan. Kan will be more difficult.

Yes, these are good practice ideas. You might also want to check out the "Pitch Twins" and "Tuning" tips at http://nyokai.com/tips .
I think if you are a Meian student, one of the advantages of working on Kinko pieces is to learn to get the meri pitches good and low, Kinko style, so that when going back to Meian you are playing the higher meri pitches as a conscious choice rather than because of technical limitations.

Last edited by nyokai (2008-11-27 12:13:51)

#8 2008-11-27 11:03:28

edosan
Edomologist

Justin wrote:

Another great practice technique is to try to get the pitch of tsu meri down to ro. For example, play tsu meri (down to ro pitch), then ro, then tsu meri (down to ro pitch) then ro etc. That is usually very difficult in the beginning, but when you can do that, you will find that regular tsu meri becomes very easy.

Yup. Very much like the relief one feels after one stops hitting oneself on the head with a hammer....   big_smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2008-11-27 13:57:25

Mike
Website

Thanks Justin  - and Phil  - for your excellent practicing advice!
Justin, your example (1:22) is very good and you are absolutely right.

Mike

#10 2008-11-27 16:08:07

edosan
Edomologist

Justin wrote:

Kurahashi Yoshio taught me high pitch for meri notes for the "ancient" (but not modern, for example Ajikan) honkyoku as passed down from Jin Nyodo

He calls it the 'no-finger' meri smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#11 2008-12-03 14:46:45

KenC

I have several of those  hardstock notations by Takashi Tokuyama, and Yugure no Kyoku is one of them.  Does anyone know if this notation is consistent with Mike's and for that Matter Nyogetsu's playing of the piece.

My teacher is primarily Tozan but this was a nice piece which we may take a shot at.

Ken

#12 2008-12-04 08:03:07

Mike
Website

Ken,

I found an example of Takashi Tokuyama's notation for KYOREI on Monty's website (shakuhachi.com).
The notations that I am using (and my teacher Ronnie Nyogetsu) are originally written by Kurahashi Yodo and not consistent
with Takashi Tokuyama's notation.

Mike

Board footer