Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-12-03 22:11:20

harlequin

Bamboo choices

I am on the Bamboo Plantation site right now and they sell Phyllostachys Bambusoides for cultivation. A one gallon container of bamboo growing stock goes for around $30 but they sell about 10 different varieties of madake. Which one would be best for shakuhachi or does it matter? I am moving soon to a farming community in Louisa, Virginia and they have three varieties growing already. I don't know what species they are but one is black, one is too thin and the third is pretty close to the descriptions I have read of madake but nobody there knows what any one of them are. I've been told that I can have a plot of land to grow my own madake so I am very excited about soon having my own madake grove. Can someone enlighten me please on this?

#2 2008-12-04 03:10:36

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Bamboo choices

I didn't think there were a range of varieties of phylostichys bamboosoids (sp) or madake. However, I transplanted four clumps, cut down from one, each clump about 18" diameter. The original culms averaged about 3-4", too wide for shakuhachi, but I wanted the madake species. The first year all the new culms were small, some were a good diameter for flutes but the nodes were too numerous and branches were coming off the culm too close to the ground, the rest of the culms were too small, but no culms were as large as the original before transplant.They also had sulcus grooves starting very low.
The next year the culms averaged larger than year one, many are of a good flute diameter and the nodes more widely spaced and no low branching, very nice, I cut one out and made a good flute though one years growth did not make a thick culm wall, so not a lot of taper. Better left another year for more thickness in the wall.
Now I am watching as my third year comes up.

I suspect the reason that these culms are not as fat as the original is because I have planted them in poor soil, the original grove was in a richer soil. Plus I have read that in Japan the collectors of Shakuhachi bamboo will go to the high ground or the top of the mountain where the soil is depleted so the bamboo will not grow so fat. 

Madake leaves tend to point upward and a wider than 'black', philostichys nigra, which I also have and from which I have made over 200 flutes.

My suggestion here is not to plant your madake in rich soil.

Another difference I note between my transpplanted culms and the original is that the original grew more as a clump whereas my transplants seem to be running. Don't know why this is but I hope to be around for a few years to watch how they continue to establish themselves.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#3 2008-12-04 09:34:48

harlequin

Karmajampa wrote:

I didn't think there were a range of varieties of phylostichys bamboosoids (sp) or madake.
Kel.

I don't understand, are you saying that there aren't different varieties of madake? Please clarify and if there are different varieties, should I raise a clumping variety or a running variety? Also, what kind of soil should I plant it in? Should the soil be very sandy? The garden manager can help me out on the soil quality better but I don't think she knows about growing bamboo all that well, she is more of an edible garden person.
On a similar note, I have read that madake can be propagated from seed, is this correct and if so, would it be better to take this approach to cultivating it?

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by harlequin (2008-12-04 09:37:58)

#4 2008-12-04 09:43:54

harlequin

I just found this online:
========================================================================
Phyllostachys bambusoides
Maximum Height: 72 feet
Diameter: 6 inches
Hardiness: 5º F
Common Names: Giant Timber Bamboo, Japanese Timber Bamboo, Madake.
        Of all the temperate timber bamboos, this is by far the strongest. Although not native to Japan, Madake is the bamboo most preferred for building in that country. It is a good bamboo for places that get snow ,but do not get colder that 5º F, since it sheds snow better than other large bamboos. It is also very upright not leaning to the sun as some others do.

Phyllostachys bambusoides  Albovariegata 'European Clone'
Maximum Height: 30 feet ?
Diameter: 2 inches ?
This nicely variegated form of Japanese Timber  although less highly variegated, is much more vigorous than clone 'Richard Haubrich. The ultimate size is unknown since it is new to cultivation.'

Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Allgold'
Maximum Height: 35 feet
Diameter: 2 Inches
Common Name: Allgold
        This is our favorite of all our yellow culm bamboos. The culms are gold at sheath fall, with an occasional green stripe. They turn a beautiful butterscotch yellow with age.

Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Castillon'
Diameter: 2 inches
Common Name: Castillon
        Bright yellow at sheath fall, this is one of our most beautiful bamboos, with culms of bright golden yellow and a green stripe in the sulcus. This bamboo flowered along with Phyllostachys bambusoides in the 1960s. All the plants in the United States and Europe died. Fortunately it was saved in China and Japan, from where it was re-imported to Germany and then into the United States by the American Bamboo Society.

Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Castillon Inversa'
Expected Height: 35 feet
Hardiness: 5° F
        This form of Japanese timber bamboo has the reverse coloration of Castillon Inversa hence the name. Planted together, Castillon Inversa and Castillonis make a striking combination. As we have done at the Classical Chinese Garden in Portland, Oregon.

Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Kawadana'
        This bamboo has two very beautiful features. The foliage is lightly striped with gold and, even more exciting, is the fine pin striping of gold on the culms. This gorgeous bamboo was found at the base of a Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Castillonis' that had flowered.

Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Marliac'
        This form of Giant timber bamboo is one of the most unusual. The culms are very wrinkled giving them an appearance similar to corduroy.

Phyllostachys bambusoides
'Richard Haubrich'
Maximum Height: 15 feet
Diameter: 1.25 inches
Perhaps the most spectacular of all of our variegated bamboos. This form of "Giant Timber Bamboo" is also one of the slowest. We have had the plant over ten years, but have sold very few. Named for Richard Haubrich, the founding President of the American Bamboo Society. The foliage can acquire an orange tinge when grown with the correct amount of shade. This bamboo is very difficult and seldom available.

#5 2008-12-04 12:50:09

Karmajampa
Website

That is interesting. You may have to simply select the variety that looks most like flute material.
The variety I have, and I don't know which variety it may be, it is of a light green colour that dries to a light yellow/gold. The skin is very smooth like enamel. It is very round/circular in profile.

I don't know why it has started running, perhaps because it is establishing itself, a running form is easier to get at than when clumped as it is more open, but it may spread quickly though not densely. Don't plant it close to other trees or buildings.

The ground I have planted into is not what you would call 'topsoil', it is more like a dry, light coloured ash. I am in a volcanic area.

Maybe you can plant more than one clump. If you plant on a slope that may promote a kink at the root end as it comes out of the ground then goes vertical.

Regarding seed, bamboo is interesting in that a variety will flower once in it's lifetime, and that may be from 20 to 200 years, they all differ, but each specific species will flower in the same year, where-ever it is in the world, once it has flowered the whole grove dies and the seed from flowering will only come up in open soil, not in covered soil. I have seen this happen. Plus I have heard that it can have a disastrous effect on cottage industries that are dependant on that species.

Cover your options, it is going to be several years before you will know for certain whether the variety you have selected is going to be useful, meantime make flutes from any bamboo that have a suitable diameter. There is much to discover.

Kel.

Last edited by Karmajampa (2008-12-04 13:01:24)

Kia Kaha !

#6 2008-12-04 14:04:48

harlequin

Thank you for the great info. I haven't looked at all of the pictures of bamboo on that web site but from what I have seen, the grove we have may just be madake but I want to make sure. It sure would be nice if it was. If it isn't I can always plant a new grove. You can be sure that I will be reading all I can and asking allot of questions on this forum and others. Also, we have an excelent county extention office here that may be able to help out.

Board footer