Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-03 02:21:23

Kaz

Fixing a crack near holes

I have read previous posts on fixing cracks, but I have a crack that runs around 4.5" down the front of the flute starting at the second hole and going towards the top.  The top part of the crack can be bound but the first hole (in the back) gets in the way of binding the crack near the second hole (on the front).  The crack is not deep and is closed up now that I am keeping my flute in more humid conditions.  I was wrapping a damp washcloth around the crack, but it seems like this is not a sustainable method.  Is there any advice on binding?
Thanks,
Kaz

Ah, the ancient pond.
A frog makes the plunge;
The sound of water.

#2 2009-01-03 03:18:23

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Fixing a crack near holes

Kaz wrote:

Is there any advice on binding?
Thanks,
Kaz

Use 20lb (minimum--I like 40-50lb high grade stuff; it's not much thicker).

See this link from Perry Yung's website (I think it's also posted somewhere on the forum):

http://www.yungflutes.com/log/archives/ … a_cra.html

There is an excellent search function on this forum (see 'Search' in the navbar at the top of the page). Questions are always welcome, but a search is almost always beneficial (since the members answering will likely be doing the same search anyway). Search term in this case was, not surprisingly: 'binding'.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-01-03 15:00:13

Kaz

Yes, I did a search.  Binding isn't the issue as much as how to bind a crack that runs from the second hole past the first.  There is only as much space to bind as there is space between the second hold (top hole on front) and the first hole (back hole). I suppose I could try binding is the very little space there, but I was wondering if anybody had any better ideas.  I could also just leave the bottom part of the crack unbound and bind the part that runs past the first hole (back hole).
Peace,
Kaz

Ah, the ancient pond.
A frog makes the plunge;
The sound of water.

#4 2009-01-03 15:41:41

edosan
Edomologist

Kaz wrote:

Yes, I did a search.  Binding isn't the issue as much as how to bind a crack that runs from the second hole past the first.  There is only as much space to bind as there is space between the second hold (top hole on front) and the first hole (back hole). I suppose I could try binding is the very little space there, but I was wondering if anybody had any better ideas.  I could also just leave the bottom part of the crack unbound and bind the part that runs past the first hole (back hole).
Peace,
Kaz

Hmmm...that's a toughy (for consistency's sake: the hole nearest the bottom, opposite the blowing end, is known as the 'first hole', the one above that, the 'second hole', and so on, the one on the back side being the 'fifth hole'), but it seems to me that you could put 8-10 wraps of binding there without affecting playability. Besides, you have no other options, methinks.

Might want to run this by Perry Yung, who has seen and fixed most everything: perryATyungflutes.com

Provide a pic, if you can.

Last edited by edosan (2009-01-03 15:53:30)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer