Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-17 16:47:25

kyoreiflutes
Website

Binding: how-tos, tips, pics, advice?

I have this 2.3 Hocchiku shakuhachi that I had made some time ago, and I recently realized that it plays pretty well, with a nice deep tone. However, it has 4 distinct cracks, all of them pretty big. I had assumed that the bamboo was cured before I used it (it's Tonkin Timber), but it wasn't. so a few nights in a row I kept hearing these "pops", and realized some of my flutes had been cracking. I also hadn't coated the insides, so that had something to do with it.

Anyway, I just coated the whole thing (the cracks never went all the way through), and I'm thinking about binding it in 2-3 places, just to hopefully get a few more years out of it. However, I'm buying a Mujitsu 2.4 rootend soon, and this summer or winter I'll get back to making flutes again, so it's not like this will be my only flute.

So, I'm not sure I want to bind it, since I don't want to spend too much more time with it, and it's pretty cracked...if I could bind it cheaply and easily, then great. Oh, I'm also not a fan of binding: if it were up to me, no flute would be bound, but it's kind of an asthetic thing for me, and I tend to only like sunken rattan bindings if I have to have them. But this flute isn't exactly stunning, so I don't care about that.

Anyway, does anyone have any quick tips or advice on simple binding? I'd really appreciate it.

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2006-03-17 16:51:12

Bogert

Re: Binding: how-tos, tips, pics, advice?

Here check out this knot from Monty's webpage, http://www.shakuhachi.com/Y-BindingRepair.html . I've used this for binding flutes and it works really good.
                                                                     Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#3 2006-03-17 18:09:04

jamesnyman

There are instructions on binding with pictures by Perry Yung under "Flute Repair" in the "Flutemaking" section of this forum.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#4 2006-03-17 19:59:50

kyoreiflutes
Website

Yeah, I've tried Monty's guide, and I found it utterly frustrating, to say the least. He basically skips over something between drawings 3 and 4, and I can't figure it out.

If you look, you can see where you're supposed to pull the end of your thread through the loop to the right. Then, the #4 drawing doesn't show the results of what #3 shows you, instead adding more wraps and another loop to the right. I can't even see, in #4, where the thread that I just put through in #3 went by the time I get to #4. If someone can illustrate this somehow, I'd be grateful.

I thought I had seen a guide on Perry's site, too, but now I can't find it anywhere.

-E

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2006-03-17 20:03:14)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2006-03-17 20:10:37

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

If someone can illustrate this somehow, I'd be grateful.

-E

Eddie,

When you finish step #3, you just need to pull both ends. The tension will pull the loop underneath the binding and hide it. Then, slice off the ends.

Ken

#6 2006-03-18 21:27:10

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

If someone can illustrate this somehow, I'd be grateful.

-E

Eddie,

I used Monty's illustration years ago and it seemed to make pretty good sense to me. I know, however, how sometimes things just don't click when you are relying on visual information. Does this illustration help at all? Keep in mind the binding should be very tight and not spread apart like it is pictured. You should also wrap it more than 3 or 4 times. That's just to give you an idea of how it's wound.

I just checked Perry's excellent illustration. I think that will be helpful as well.

Ken

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/binding.jpg

#7 2006-03-18 21:35:51

edosan
Edomologist

In order to get a good grip on the line for pulling, it's a good idea to grab the end you want to pull with a pair of needlenose pliars, then take a couple turns of the line AROUND the pliars as it grips the line--you can pull it plenty tight that way.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#8 2006-03-18 21:51:32

kyoreiflutes
Website

As usual, Ken, you came through for me. That illustration is perfect, and I'm very grateful for it, and your explanations. I'll definately bind it, since it doesn't look as hard as I had thought.

It's funny, because I primarily depend on visuals, but there was just something about Monty's Drawing I couldn't follow. I'm sure it's mostly me. I still couldn't find Perry's drawing...I dont' think you can link to a specific page on his site, either, but are we talking about his old site, or the newer Flash one?

Thanks again for all the help, folks. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Eddie

#9 2006-03-19 09:23:43

edosan
Edomologist

In case it's needed, here's a link to Perry Yung's monofilament crack repair page:

Monofilament binding

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#10 2006-05-07 01:51:03

evan kubota

I'm working on a naked-bore 1.8 and trying to decide if I absolutely need to bind it. I went ahead and did two of them tonight just for practice (first was not great, a little loose, second was fine), but if I can avoid doing it I'd like to. My other bamboo shakuhachi is bound and I want one that isn't. I live in Florida, where it's fairly humid year-round.

I seem to remember having bamboo flower vases that I made in Japan years ago sitting in the living room, and they haven't cracked.

I also see some fairly high-end flutes without binding.

Any thoughts on its necessity?

#11 2006-05-07 14:25:37

kyoreiflutes
Website

Were the vases sealed inside?

-E

#12 2006-05-07 15:11:21

evan kubota

No...

#13 2006-05-07 18:32:45

kyoreiflutes
Website

Do you use them with water, or are they just for dry arrangements?

-E

#14 2006-05-07 19:36:52

evan kubota

Empty arrangements wink I just checked and one has some small surface cracks at the node, but those might have been there when I made it. Each one is made from a bamboo piece about 3-4" in diameter.

I've basically decided to go ahead and bind this 1.8... it's turning out better than I expected and the clear binding isn't that obtrusive.

Board footer