World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#51 2009-01-08 20:49:38

Kerry

Re: Where did "hocchiku" come from?

Peter Kororo wrote:

I mean the spelling "hocchiku"?

Dharma-bamboo (法竹) is "houchiku." Isn't "hocchiku" supposed to refer to 法竹?

Shouldn't we be speaking of "houchiku" then?

Language!
And all those Amazon "Got Hocchiku" sweats? Hope they didn't print too many of those up! Better make sure your kanji tatts really say what you think they say.....
And Kiku, you're right! English is ruley too.
Peace ya'll wink

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#52 2009-01-08 21:59:59

jaybeemusic

Gishin wrote:

edosan wrote:

Gishin wrote:

Ok what is the relation with the whole conversation? Am I missing something? Maybe most of the stuff is what I call trying to copulate with a fly but in the end it has been helpfull to inform and give precision to some individual for the ones that think it was useless I feel they should refrain from posting uselss comments.

Gishin, my lad, what's 'useful' to you ain't necessarily useful to anyone else.

And anyway: who made you the decider of what's useful? Hmmmm?

Gotta love a smart ass and cherish it for what it is worth when I see one. What does get to me is when you have a discussion going into details about a given subject and all goes well and then you have a TROLL that comes in and says such stuff as yabadabdoo, my ass is itchy, rose are red violets are blue I am a moron and so are you etc...

If the discusssion is too detailed or meaningless for you then dont join. It is a simple as that. Let the fools or people that think the stuff is meaningfull discuss and do mental masturbation in peace with what they chose to discuss about. You would probably look like a total fool to interrupt with such stuff in a real conversation involving people that try to study and learn Japanese language. If the thread was about goofing off or connected with it it will be all good but in reality you are the one butting in with crap to deteriorate and lead the thread in a meaningless direction.

Gishin,

Why all this hostility?  Just live and let live.... .  Don't crucify edosan.     last time i checked,  nobody else but you batted an eyelash at the post....  you seem to be making a bigger deal than is really warranted.  i'm a joker, so my personality naturally comes out in my posts.  sure sometimes i'm goofy....that's me.     

but i must thank you....... you've taught me a very valuable lesson............

And yet another reason to NOT read your posts....     

"If someone hands you a gift, and you do not accept it.    Who does it belong to?"

*bows deeply*

peace

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#53 2009-01-08 22:11:38

Thomas

My, but this is riveting.

[those are rivets...]

Congrats on 1000+ QUALITY posts!*
Keep up the good work.

*sarcasm

#54 2009-01-08 22:28:16

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

jaybeemusic wrote:

Gishin wrote:

edosan wrote:

Gishin, my lad, what's 'useful' to you ain't necessarily useful to anyone else.

And anyway: who made you the decider of what's useful? Hmmmm?

Gotta love a smart ass and cherish it for what it is worth when I see one. What does get to me is when you have a discussion going into details about a given subject and all goes well and then you have a TROLL that comes in and says such stuff as yabadabdoo, my ass is itchy, rose are red violets are blue I am a moron and so are you etc...

If the discusssion is too detailed or meaningless for you then dont join. It is a simple as that. Let the fools or people that think the stuff is meaningfull discuss and do mental masturbation in peace with what they chose to discuss about. You would probably look like a total fool to interrupt with such stuff in a real conversation involving people that try to study and learn Japanese language. If the thread was about goofing off or connected with it it will be all good but in reality you are the one butting in with crap to deteriorate and lead the thread in a meaningless direction.

Gishin,

Why all this hostility?  Just live and let live.... .  Don't crucify edosan.     last time i checked,  nobody else but you batted an eyelash at the post....  you seem to be making a bigger deal than is really warranted.  i'm a joker, so my personality naturally comes out in my posts.  sure sometimes i'm goofy....that's me.     

but i must thank you....... you've taught me a very valuable lesson............

And yet another reason to NOT read your posts....     

"If someone hands you a gift, and you do not accept it.    Who does it belong to?"

*bows deeply*

peace

Sure go for it! Its always the same thing with slackers. Someone tries to keep a discussion straight and all they do is scream bloody murder and demonize the guy. Its nice to have fun and joke around but as members and moderators of this board I would be nice if we did try to post meaningful stuff and limit the meaningless post that just try to make the poster look as if he is so cool because he is posting random stuff and then you get your defender of justice that post deep bows and loving quotes. Again its members that have the mentality of an offended teenager that do answer in a teenage fashion when they feel offended and offended by what??? Offended by me just saying we should try to keep this discussion on track. Some will say I am too hard and most likely yes because anyway even if I took the soft way you would have had crybabies as usual trying to save the day and it would have ended up with the same type of posts and results in the long run.

So is this hostility/agressivity=Yes when you have the reasoning of a teenager. But when you react like an adult you will see that all I did was try to keep the disucssion on track and limit the meaningless blabber.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#55 2009-01-08 22:41:02

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

OK let's stop this bickering.

Ed is right this is boring. Gishin is right, no need to point out that it's boring.

End of boring story.

Now go practice ro.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#56 2009-01-09 09:46:43

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

The rules of spelling certainly appear to have become a great deal more complex since the days of the individual who gave modern English its biggest kick-start half a millenium ago.  According to Bill Bryson in his recent biography of Shakespeare, spelling was "luxuriantly variable" -- "St. Powles" was just as acceptable as "St. Paul's" - in those golden years of theatre where "beer was drunk copiously, even at breakfast and even by the pleasure-wary Puritans." Shakespeare scholar Stanley Wells notes that Shakespeare (or 'Shakspere' as he is referred to in the OED) spelled the word "sheriff" five different ways - "shreiff,"  "shreef,"  "shreeve,"  "Shreiue," and "Shreue" - in the space of five lines in a manuscript version of one of his plays.  "Hocchiku" would surely have been acceptable in a variety of manifestations...

#57 2009-01-09 13:47:57

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Brian,
    How about a new category on the forum intitled:  "Language". Since shakuhachi study involves the use of mostly the Japanese language and also some discussion of Chinese language, then we can't and shouldn't avoid having a place to take this.  I too have had an impatient reaction to the Hot Chiku subject before when it was seemingly getting long winded. That's more to do with me, my own mood at the time, the fact that I don't have all day to hang out on the forum so sometimes I want people to get to the point quickly for my own selfish sake. However, since coming back to the US, I often forget how much of a language/dictionary geek I was in Japan and I do enjoy the imput here when I have time to.

Brian, I think you do a great job here as the lawyer for all sides, recognizing the moments of validity in opposing arguments. Humor and the fun of being less than PC sometimes has to be part of the forum. It's hard to employ the "Common Sense Police" here and easier to overlook than a high pitched Tsu-meri note.  So let's just create another category. It should be easier than, say, an argument about which is better: European Football or American football!

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#58 2009-01-09 15:46:05

edosan
Edomologist

chikuzen wrote:

which is better: European Football or American football!

And, Tairaku: Please, please create a category for this one, too.

eB [certified slacker]

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#59 2009-01-10 01:03:45

shaman141
Website

My god you've been so consistent at writing annoying posts that it astounds me Ed.

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#60 2009-01-10 02:04:57

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Topic closed.

Board footer