Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-16 18:25:49

David Earl

staining bamboo

Hello everyone,
I have a Shakuhachi made from Madake bamboo and would like to perhaps stain it. Going for a bit darker antique or patina look going from a darker rootend to lighter toward the top. On some Shakuhachi I have seen it looks like fire was used to create this effect then other flutes look like this is a natural coloring of the bamboo or this is and affect of oil application and aging then some look like stain may have been used?? Is there a traditional approach to this, what type of stain or product is used?

Thanks

Spring peepers provide
a croaking choral backdrop
sleep time aria

#2 2009-01-17 12:36:50

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: staining bamboo

buji wrote:

Hello everyone,
I have a Shakuhachi made from Madake bamboo and would like to perhaps stain it. Going for a bit darker antique or patina look going from a darker rootend to lighter toward the top. On some Shakuhachi I have seen it looks like fire was used to create this effect then other flutes look like this is a natural coloring of the bamboo or this is and affect of oil application and aging then some look like stain may have been used?? Is there a traditional approach to this, what type of stain or product is used?

Thanks

Buji,

Sometimes madake is naturally darker at the rootend. Other times an urushi wash is used to stain the roots and or lower end of the shakuhachi. Wood stain will only work if the skin of the bamboo is sanded off first. Urushi will stain the bamboo in the same manner but will also cover the surface of the bamboo if the skin is not sanded off.

Ken

Board footer