http://mvgals.net/gallery/howwierd-050706/IMG_0001

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#2 2006-05-09 14:22:51

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Komuso in the streets

Nice! Notice that guy to the left, pointing at you? He's probably trying to figure out what the hell you are, lol.

Looks great, though...I have to get my outfit ready for an SCA event that you just reminded me of. Thanks!

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-05-11 01:16:20

rpowers

Re: Komuso in the streets

The faire was an eclectic house/techno/ambient/psytrance festival with seven stages cooking at once within a one block radius of Howard and 12th streets. Unless you were right on top of the speakers for one of the venues, it all blended into one big neighborhood hum. Relatively few people actually heard the shakuhachi at all.

One guy asked about it. He told me that he is a DJ, and has an old album with shakuhachi duets that he mixes into his sets. He couldn't remember the names of the players, but they were American, not Japanese.

My guess is that Shika no Tone by Riley Lee and Ralph Samuelson is getting club spins in San Francisco.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

Board footer