Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-05-11 01:46:35

Bogert

Duo en playing at World Sacred music festival, May 13th in Olympia, Wa

I saw them perform a week or so ago and they are quite good.  I'll probably make it downtown to check this out.  If your in the area check it out.

Saturday, May 13th, 2006
WORLD SACRED MUSIC FESTIVAL
Music for the Mind and Spirit - 7:00 - 7:50
601 North St. SE
Olympia WA
Price: $5-$10 suggested donaton

The Second Annual World Sacred Music Festival features a day of fun for the whole family. Music, dance, workshops, storytelling, food, and moreā€¦21 events on three stages. Just $5-10 suggested donation at the door. Free parking!

EN is a duo bound to Japan, music, and each other, and specializes in sharing contemporary and classical music from Japan. EN's philosophy is to connect - to their audience, the environment, and the moment. Based in Seattle, En plays throughout the Pacific Northwest, and has toured to the Midwest, East Coast, and to Japan.

John and Elizabeth met when they began studying Japanese in 1974. They fell in love with each other, then fell in love with Japan. Since then they have lived in Japan for over a decade, studying Japanese music from master teachers including Sakata Ryozan, Sawai Kazue, Sawai Tadao, and Igarashi Ryozan. Their love for Japanese music and culture comes alive in their warm, intimate, inspired performances. John's shakuhachi flute and Elizabeth's koto create an elegant and meditative mood. Their CD, EN: AFFINITY was released in 2005.

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2006-05-11 02:28:22

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Duo en playing at World Sacred music festival, May 13th in Olympia, Wa

I know the Falconers; great folks, and their 13 year-old plays the Koto. Go figure.

If I lived closer, I'd come down. But they usually play about every month or so at a Tea House about 4 blocks from me. wink

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-05-11 06:08:36

nyokai
shihan
Website

Liz Falconer is a very wonderful koto player. Oddly, I didn't even know that John plays shakuhachi! I am glad they are performing together these days.

#4 2006-05-17 19:44:40

James

kyoreiflutes wrote:

I know the Falconers; great folks, and their 13 year-old plays the Koto. Go figure.

Plays it well too. Liz and Brian perform professionally. I think they call themselves Wasabi.

James

Board footer