Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-31 15:23:28

madoherty

Welcome to the Shakuhachi Recording Index

Welcome to the shakuhachi recording index.  The index is designed to answer the need for basic information on recordings (and relevant links to additional resources, where appropriate).

Each piece should have its own entry/string (for example, Kyorei), with information on recordings given under it in the following format:

Performer(s):               [enter name of the performer]
Length of flute(s):         [enter the length of flute]
Recording Title:            [enter the title of the recording]
Publishing Information: [year, publishing company (i.e. label)]
Notes (school, etc.):     [enter notes here, including school, if known]

All members may contribute records to the index by either creating a new topic/entry for a piece, or adding another recording by "replying" to a thread that is already started.  I will fill in information as needed, or as it is available to me.  I ask that you limit entries to the above information for now.  The idea is to create a clean and precise information database for everyone to research.

Michael Andrew Doherty

Last edited by madoherty (2009-09-30 19:05:20)

#2 2009-01-31 16:53:44

madoherty

Re: Welcome to the Shakuhachi Recording Index

Each piece will have its own topic, I started the one for Kyorei, so if you can sticky this one, the others will follow.
Thanks!
M

#3 2009-02-09 08:36:38

Riley Lee
Website

I'm sure that most of you know about the International Shakuhachi Society's website: www.komuso.com, which is, thus far, by far the most comprehensive data base of shakuhachi players, recordings, pieces and notation in existence.

The information on komuso.com is the result of systematic research by a number of people over many years.

All entries are cross-referenced. One can see, for example, all pieces and/or recordings performed by one player, all recordings made of one piece, all pieces on one recording, etc. The database is taken care of by Ron Nelson. Additional information/corrections can be submitted. There are superb search functions, and all lists is alphabetised.

Though I understand the useful function of this shakuhachi forum index, and its different mechanism of adding information, I strongly urge everyone on this forum to take some time looking through the goldmine of information at komuso.com. Otherwise, it is quite possible that this index might become a case of reinventing the wheel.

Sincerely, Riley Lee

#4 2009-02-09 08:46:47

Zakarius

Riley Lee wrote:

I strongly urge everyone on this forum to take some time looking through the goldmine of information at komuso.com. Otherwise, it is quite possible that this index might become a case of reinventing the wheel.

It does have a lot of good information, but it hasn't been updated in what seems to be ages...

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#5 2009-02-09 10:51:44

madoherty

Riley Lee wrote:

I'm sure that most of you know about the International Shakuhachi Society's website: www.komuso.com, which is, thus far, by far the most comprehensive data base of shakuhachi players, recordings, pieces and notation in existence.

If contributors would like to add "hotlinks" to their contributions that link to komuso.com, that would be a good way of making its resources available to those on this forum. 

Michael

#6 2009-02-09 15:33:45

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

madoherty wrote:

Riley Lee wrote:

If contributors would like to add "hotlinks" to their contributions that link to komuso.com, that would be a good way of making its resources available to those on this forum. 

Michael

Linking is fine. However, hotlinking is frowned upon because it would be using Ron's bandwidth here on the forum. Hotlinking should really only be used if you have the webmasters permission (Ron). Otherwise, just link to the page you'd like to show.

Michael, are you referring more to "linking" here?

Thanks

Ken

#7 2009-02-09 15:45:51

madoherty

Mujitsu wrote:

madoherty wrote:

Riley Lee wrote:

Michael

Linking is fine. However, hotlinking is frowned upon because it would be using Ron's bandwidth here on the forum. Hotlinking should really only be used if you have the webmasters permission (Ron). Otherwise, just link to the page you'd like to show.

Michael, are you referring more to "linking" here?

Thanks

Ken

I had checked with Ron about linking to his site, which he is fine with.  You are right - I do not mean the leeching of bandwidth type of linking, but using inline linking of text to a particular page such as: Katsuya Yokoyama.  Leeching bad, intelligent linking good.

Michael

Board footer