Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-05-12 13:48:00

honshirobbie

beginner- meri positions?

hello all!
I have very recently purchased my first shakuhachi (thank you Ken LaCosse!), my first instrument in many many years. I can hit all the notes in the otsu register (most likely off key, but it makes a sound!), and am working on extending my breath (10 seconds max at the moment).
But, to break things up I have been trying to teach myself Hon Shirabe through the wonderful instructions given by bamboo-in.com. Luckily I studied japanese for a few years, so the hiragana isn't too bad, but I'm struggling to understand what is meant by the 3(?) meri positions. I can read them fine in the music, I just don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. I also don't know what is meant by kamuri.
For the most part I am just trying to get the timing and finger positions down, not worrying about reaching the kan register or getting the more suttle properties. I am fortunate enough to have a teacher in town, but it will be a month or two before I can afford to take advantage of that opportunity, and am trying to learn what I can in the meantime without forming too many bad habits in the process.
Any help would be wonderful!
Thanks,
Robbie

Board footer