Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-20 09:07:39

Vevolis
Website

Can't play Otsu anymore

I'm not sure if it's personal stress (very plausible) or the fact that the dry winter humidity has caused the flute to open up a bit, there is a pre-existing crack that has been thoroughly bound by Perry Yung, the crack widens on the Utaguchi and becomes narrow to a hairline as it enters the bore (At the most 1/2mm). I've noticed that there are some cracks slowly widening around the bell of the flute and the main crack going up the Utaguchi (It starts at the middle joint; in fact if I open the joint, it runs along the inside as well) has widened ever so slightly.

Anyways, I can't play any notes from Ri down to Ro on the Otsu octave. In fact notes above this are more intermittent and sound flat. I haven’t played in about 2 weeks for a number of unnecessary reasons, but I’ve been trying to hit an Otsu sound for the past three days.

Any advise? The bindings are still holding strong… if they’ve unsuccessfully held the crack, I'm in trouble. There are a lot I’d have to replace with my lack in ability. I put the flute in the bathroom with my shower running. I could be seeing things, but it seemed to narrow a bit, temporarily... though it didn't make a difference.

#2 2009-01-20 09:56:31

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Can't play Otsu anymore

If you're not doing it already, when you're not playing it, you must KEEP the flute in a poly bag, closed at the end with a rubber band, and with a small humidifier inside the bag with the flute, such as a small piece of well-dampened (not dripping) sponge, or a guitar Dampit. Short trips to a humid  bathroom ain't gonna do it. Home heating systems running in winter can drastically reduce ambient huimidity.

At this point, I would even consider wrapping the flute in a dampened (not dripping) piece of cloth and putting it in a closed space, such as a close-fitting box.

Last edited by edosan (2009-01-20 13:02:54)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-01-20 10:44:32

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Vevolis wrote:

I'm not sure if it's personal stress (very plausible) or the fact that the dry winter humidity has caused the flute to open up a bit, there is a pre-existing crack that has been thoroughly bound by Perry Yung, the crack widens on the Utaguchi and becomes narrow to a hairline as it enters the bore (At the most 1/2mm). I've noticed that there are some cracks slowly widening around the bell of the flute and the main crack going up the Utaguchi (It starts at the middle joint; in fact if I open the joint, it runs along the inside as well) has widened ever so slightly.

Scott, if you see a hairline in the bore, it may be leaking.

Any advise? The bindings are still holding strong… if they’ve unsuccessfully held the crack, I'm in trouble. There are a lot I’d have to replace with my lack in ability. I put the flute in the bathroom with my shower running. I could be seeing things, but it seemed to narrow a bit, temporarily... though it didn't make a difference.

First try placing a long strip of tape along the crack on the outside of the bamboo. Use your finger nail to press the tape against the crack. This some times works as a diagnostic to find the exact location of the leak. If this works, peel off the tape slowly and continue to blow. This will tell you where the leak is. I f it doesn't work, submerge the flute in a tub of warm water for about 10 seconds then blow. If it works, you can send it to me for repair.

If you find the leak with the tape method, there are things you can do your self.

Let me know what happens. Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2009-01-20 17:16:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

In these situations I usually run some water down the bore which will temporarily seal the hairline crack if there is one. Then if otsu comes out or is stronger, you know there's a leak.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2009-01-26 08:12:34

Vevolis
Website

I tried taping the bore, almost immediately Ri sounded. I can hit strong overtones of the other Otsu notes but they don't play properly. I'm going to play with it for a while longer. Often as a beginner my notes are intermittent; I don't want to send it away only to learn I simply can't play it smile I'll submerge it in water tonight.

Last edited by Vevolis (2009-01-26 08:13:48)

#6 2009-01-26 12:45:11

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

maybe you need a new very expensive flute:-)

#7 2009-01-26 16:28:14

Vevolis
Website

Ha!

No… I think I’ve learned my lesson there… I’ll leave the the dreams of owning a high end flute to the professionals. Either I figure out how to repair and use this one or I find a used David Brown or a precision cast bore student flute and start where I belong; the bottom. smile

#8 2009-01-26 16:32:44

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

maybe someone suggested this: do you have access to another flute? (even pvc)
that way, you can try otsu on that one...it can help determine if it is your flute or the playing.

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#9 2009-01-26 21:42:00

airin
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

that way, you can try otsu on that one...it can help determine if it is your flute or the playing.

Bas

That's a good suggestion Bas.

#10 2009-01-26 22:14:32

Zakarius

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Picking up a flute which is new to you might not be "best way". I recently got a high-end flute which I couldn't get ANY sounds out of for the first 5 minutes. Just getting a simple scale took about an hour. Instead, if you can hand the flute to a more experienced player, (s)he might be able to more readily determine whether the flute has problems after a few minutes of blowing.

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#11 2009-01-26 22:51:03

airin
Website

Zakarius wrote:

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Picking up a flute which is new to you might not be "best way". I recently got a high-end flute which I couldn't get ANY sounds out of for the first 5 minutes. Just getting a simple scale took about an hour. Instead, if you can hand the flute to a more experienced player, (s)he might be able to more readily determine whether the flute has problems after a few minutes of blowing.

Zak

Ah, yes, I understand what you're staying here Zak, good points as well.

#12 2009-02-03 11:53:26

Vevolis
Website

I thought I’d just follow up and confirm that submerging the flute in warm water is an excellent way of checking the flute for cracks. It played beautifully until it dried up.

Actually it made me very sad. Makes you contemplate the human condition and the rising cost of produce.

#13 2009-02-03 12:45:09

Lance

Did anyone mention the Yuu...  your saddness would vanish.

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

Board footer