World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-02-05 12:23:26

Benjamin
Website

Shakuhachi Undergraduate degree

Hello all,

I would like to announce that here at the Indiana University campus in Indianapolis, I have recently put into motion the possibility of majoring in the Shakuhachi for my undergrad. Through a program called the Individualized major program, I have contacted certain members of the faculty to construct a curriculum based around the flute that encompasses certain aspects such as: Construction of the flute, though the Sculpture department.  Learning Honkyoku in the Dokyoku lineage under (hopefully)  Michael Chikuzen Gould.  Instruction in Zen Buddhism with Walter Robinson in the Philosophy department (who is also an ordained Zen priest), and instruction in the Japanese Language with Kiyoshi Otsu. 

Today I meet with the head of the IMP to see what is all possible and what kind of work I will be doing.  I was just eager to announce this  so that others can look upon this as an example of the possibilities that are available to new and aspiring members of the shakuhachi community, and also to inform everyone of the new kind of recognition that might be gained in the west through this kind of study.  Everything is not settled yet, and I will probably post back here after I meet with the department head, but I just wanted to say to all the younger users on the forum here in the west that you can find a way to accomplish what you love and aspire to do. Examine all the possibilities that are offered at surrounding institutions and all the programs and events that are offered by the senior members of the community, and never stop trying.

Ben

Coming, all is clear, no doubt about it.  Going, all is clear, without a doubt.
What then is all? -Hosshin

#2 2009-02-05 12:36:08

sahar

Re: Shakuhachi Undergraduate degree

That is very cool !!

#3 2009-02-05 13:03:33

Jim Thompson

Individualized major! What a beautiful concept.  Is that something that goes on at your school only or is that becoming available at many schools? You go Ben.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#4 2009-02-05 18:17:37

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Thank you, Ben for posting this.
It is indeed very inspiring to read. Hopefully I can soon be active in creating new ways for music students to explore subjects that are not 'mainstream'.
Looking forward to read more about it! Keep us updated!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2009-02-05 18:18:06

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Congrats Ben, Thats awesome!
Will you be taking any music curses or Ensembles? (besides shakuhachi) That will be a very helpfull in long run.
I am doing my Masters with Shakuhachi @ new England Conservatory. Its been fun!!

#6 2009-02-05 22:18:27

caffeind

I just finished a masters in shakuhachi performance at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, with Riley Lee. There has been talk of starting an undergrad course there as well.

#7 2009-02-15 07:10:16

Benjamin
Website

Hello all,

Just a little update with all that is going on.  I met with Kiyoshi Otsu about a week ago and seemed delighted that I had taken an interest in the shakuhachi and was trying to put together a degree around the flute.  I will officially be a Shakuhachi major next semester. My major specific courses with not only include all that I have mentioned above, but also working with Reiko Yonogi and Kiyoshi Otsu on learning and appreciating Japanese aesthetics.  Otsu san and I shared a nice meeting discussing different aspects of japanese culture; from quotes of Issa and Basho, to kendo, kyudo, chado, and wabi sabi. Pottery and Ise architecture seemed to be of great interest with both of us, and he seemed sad to state (as many of you here probably have heard) that anymore the shakuhachi seems to be something that most Japanese people don't seem to have an interest in. 

There is also an opportunity if I progressed well enough in my Japanese studies I would get a full paid scholarship to go the Japan for a year and study at Hakuoh university in Oyama city. I am greatly excited for all of this to begin and will certainly keep posting updates as they become available to me.

Benjamin

Coming, all is clear, no doubt about it.  Going, all is clear, without a doubt.
What then is all? -Hosshin

Board footer