Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-05-09 13:29:55

evan kubota

High quality surface finish

I have some rootend bamboo coming soon. For my current non-root 1.8, I didn't finish the outside at all. It was already cured and probably had some sort of varnish applied (it came from a tiki torch).

However, what process is used on high-end shakuhachi to create the smooth, lustrous surface finish? I assume some sort of polishing/rubbing is involved but is any oil or lacquer applied after that?

#2 2006-05-10 11:05:20

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: High quality surface finish

evan kubota wrote:

I have some rootend bamboo coming soon. For my current non-root 1.8, I didn't finish the outside at all. It was already cured and probably had some sort of varnish applied (it came from a tiki torch).

However, what process is used on high-end shakuhachi to create the smooth, lustrous surface finish? I assume some sort of polishing/rubbing is involved but is any oil or lacquer applied after that?

Evan,

Rottenstone works well to polish bamboo. It's a fine powder that is mixed with a few drops of oil and rubbed into the bamboo. Then buffed with a clean cloth. The steps can be repeated as often as you like.

Ken

#3 2006-05-10 16:31:18

evan kubota

Is that followed with any kind of oil or just left alone? I got some 0000 steel wool and it seems to give a smoother finish. Maybe that followed with the polishing compound would work well.

#4 2006-05-10 20:48:37

Karmajampa
Website

Off the net......

When using pumice (and then rottenstone), a slurry is made by mixing the liquid vehicle with pumice (or rottenstone). Take a small container (those Rubbermaid food storage containers work nicely), and add some lubricant. The lubricant can be an oil-based petroleum distillate or a water-based lube. You can even use straight water with no soap. Then dump in a quantity of powder (pumice or rottenstone). There is your slurry. Mix it to the consistency of pancake mix, maybe a little thinner.
You can rub this abrasive slurry with a rag. But even better than that is to use a large, flat piece of hard felt. Dip the felt in the slurry (or pour some on your surface) and rub in very straight lines. That means you should not arc your rubbing stroke like a rainbow or windshield wiper.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#5 2006-05-10 20:56:05

kyoreiflutes
Website

I'm curious as to what you do with it after you're "done". Do you rinse it, and with what? How do you know when you're done polishing?

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#6 2006-05-11 23:45:28

Karmajampa
Website

I have just read that shark skin is used in Japan to polish Shakuhachi.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#7 2006-05-14 00:11:34

evan kubota

Ray skin (same) or shark skin? In my experience even the finest grade of same is probably too coarse to polish a shakuhachi. I could be wrong, and there might be an extra-fine grade that I'm not aware of wink

It wouldn't surprise me if uchiko powder was used for polishing, much as it's used as a mild abrasive for sword cleaning...

#8 2006-05-14 00:37:36

kyoreiflutes
Website

I tried some of that, and it didn't work as I would've hoped.

I doubt Ray is going to work, either, it's too coarse.  I'm going to try Rottenstone soon.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#9 2006-05-14 00:43:32

evan kubota

Tung oil seemed to work OK for me. I did two coats, buffing lightly between. The finished surface is nice but I think I'll go with no finish for my next one.

#10 2006-05-14 02:06:04

Karmajampa
Website

One impression I have gotten is when heating the bamboo to bring out the oils, that is when it can be buffed to a gloss. The amount you get is going to depend on the variety of bamboo and the particular culm.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#11 2006-05-14 02:07:40

evan kubota

Unfortunately, I don't have access to raw bamboo in my area. Everything I get has already been cured (not sure in what fashion) by the supplier.

#12 2006-05-14 13:54:20

kyoreiflutes
Website

Hmmm, I'd think that, even if you got the flute shiny from oils, it'd fade, or at least be changed by the fact that you're going to go and work on the flute. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't do any polishing on my flute until everything else was done, but that's me.

-E

Board footer