Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-02-08 00:47:17

ABRAXAS

Most Simple Honkyoku (or other)

I realize learning the nuances of advanced honkyoku playing without an instructor is probably impossible, but I ask this: for those not connected to systematic formal instruction, is there a consensus among "the pros" as to the traditional peices simple and straightforward enough in composition and execution that the self-taught can get a fair handle on playing by ear with or without the notation?

What specific pieces, if any, would you suggest?

How "do-able" is it, and what are the likely mistakes or shortcomings?

I've been dabbling with a few, such as Sankara Sugagaki, Kyorei, and a couple others, mostly to pick up characteristic style phrases that I like, but I'm curious what the opinion of traditional instructors is on this.

Thanks!
J.

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#2 2009-02-08 11:03:21

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Most Simple Honkyoku (or other)

Hi J, I would suggest to listen to different versions of Kyorei. It is deceptively simple but the aim is to play it as unadorned and simply as possible. If you can play this piece with clarity and without any stylistic elements, you will have achieved much. This is certainly do-able without a teacher...except for your flute, who is the true teacher:)

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2009-02-08 11:33:09

ABRAXAS

Re: Most Simple Honkyoku (or other)

Yungflutes wrote:

Hi J, I would suggest to listen to different versions of Kyorei. It is deceptively simple but the aim is to play it as unadorned and simply as possible. If you can play this piece with clarity and without any stylistic elements, you will have achieved much. This is certainly do-able without a teacher...except for your flute, who is the true teacher:)

Namaste, Perry

Thank You Perry! Also thanks for including Kyorei and Chosi in your book and CD that you send out with your shakuhachi.

Kyorei is at the top of my list for that reason. Yes, I have been collecting different versions from CDs, and from Youtube etc. and noting the variations, I have also noted minor differences in some notation. Some note U instead of CHI-meri, etc.

That is indeed the challenge, using the prolonged breath and flute to play clear and properly, instead of a chain of techniques and ornaments and without rushing.

Note; if anyone is interested, this is a good way to convert youtube videos to mp3s: http://vixy.net/

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

Board footer