World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2009-01-20 11:32:26

airin
Website

Re: Need tips on playing RO

purehappiness wrote:

It is possibly the most zen. I hope I can persevere and not give up trying.

No, you're probably hooked now...there will be no giving up!   The experience just keeps getting deeper and more meaningful day by day.

#27 2009-01-20 11:44:29

purehappiness

I need to find a good source for bamboo though. That will be the tough part. I don't think the local hardware store will carry what I need. sad

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#28 2009-01-20 12:24:14

jaybeemusic

Try here...

http://www.franksupply.com/bamboo_produ … luteblanks

you never know what you're gonna get but you can turn out some decent ones if you take your time....  just don't get the black bamboo....
it splits too easily....(just my opinion)

jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#29 2009-01-20 12:59:37

purehappiness

Thanks. That looks like a great source.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#30 2009-01-28 00:48:32

axolotl
Website

I have a few thoughts/questions about good ol' Ro; thought I'd keep them in the same thread.  I have been working on the various ways to blow Ro, mainly, at the moment, loud as I can and soft as I can.  I'm working towards that nice wedgy sound for loud, but I'm not so sure about soft.  The sound is much more open and diffuse and my embouchure opens a fair amount.  I'm concerned that this is 'cheating' in some way and that the embouchure should remain more focused.  I'll take this to my teacher, but if anyone has hints, that would be great.  (I am also trying all this on Re, etc.)

I do notice that whistle tones go away on soft meri notes; the trick is to get that same tone on kari notes when playing softly.  I have tried meri-ing Ro and getting back up to pitch to see if that helps in chewing away whistle tones.

#31 2009-02-10 18:51:22

purehappiness

Well, I cured my RO problem. Perry made me an awesome 2.0 Earth model and now RO is no Problem. Now, I can actually learn how to play shakuhachi.

Thanks Perry.

Excuse me while I go practice Ro.smile

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-02-10 18:53:06)

Lieh-tzu

#32 2009-02-10 23:46:28

airin
Website

purehappiness wrote:

Well, I cured my RO problem. Perry made me an awesome 2.0 Earth model and now RO is no Problem. Now, I can actually learn how to play shakuhachi.

Thanks Perry.

Ah, an Earth flute by Perry is a beautiful thing, is it not?!

#33 2009-02-11 04:19:04

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

happy practicing and maybe sometime later you can play ro on your selfmade flute as well...

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#34 2009-02-11 07:09:18

purehappiness

airin wrote:

purehappiness wrote:

Thanks Perry.

Ah, an Earth flute by Perry is a beautiful thing, is it not?!

It is quite a work of art. I love it. It will definitely inspire me to keep practicing.

Lieh-tzu

#35 2009-02-11 07:10:37

purehappiness

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

happy practicing and maybe sometime later you can play ro on your selfmade flute as well...

I was able to get RO out of my selfmade flute but it is a lot harder than with perry's. Thanks again perry. smile

Lieh-tzu

Board footer