Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-02-11 21:20:35

Moran from Planet X
Website

Cassette to digital in L.A?

Does anyone here in Los Angeles area have the ability to faithfully transfer cassette recordings to digital?

I have three cassettes of Tanikita Muchiku, 37th Abbot of Meian-ji, which I need digitally transferred.  For your troubles you can have your own digital copies. I don't require the recordings to be filtered or improved. Just good, straight analog to digital transfers with all the tape hum.

See http://www.komuso.com/people/Tanikita_Muchiku_Roan.html

Recordings are fairly poor quality. In my opinion not as bad as the Jin Nyodo recordings but not that much better.

The music is very raw Taizan Ha Myoan temple music. Little relation to Western music or players influenced by Western music. Not very melodic, almost boring.

Drop me an email at inland.online(at)gmail.com or through the email messaging here on the forum. Thanks! -- Chris

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2009-02-11 21:49:53

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Cassette to digital in L.A?

It shouldn't be too hard to do yourself: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window … yStep.aspx

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2009-02-12 08:53:30

MikeL

I use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) for this under both Linux
and Windows XP. Works great. Line out of the cassette deck into the microphone
in jack of the computer. You can save the recording as an MP3 file, if
that's convenient for you.

#4 2009-02-12 11:39:49

radi0gnome
Website

MikeL wrote:

I use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) for this under both Linux
and Windows XP. Works great. Line out of the cassette deck into the microphone
in jack of the computer. You can save the recording as an MP3 file, if
that's convenient for you.

I used Audacity too. The original poster didn't mention what platform he was on, but while Linux offers an MP3 look-alike compression, it's not built into Audacity like it is on Microsoft and can end up requiring a lot of reading to educate yourself on how to do it. On Microsoft however, Audacity not only comes with the ability to convert to MP3 built in, but it's fairly intuitive and easy to use and also includes a lot of other god effects that are a struggle to find in under Linux.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#5 2009-02-12 13:15:05

Dun Romin

Audacity indeed works fine and simple on Microsoft eather converted to MP3 or to the higher WAVquality. But specially for cleaning up tape- or old recordnoise I prefer Wavepad, which is also friendlier to work with. smile But somehow I think this was not Chris's questions

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#6 2009-02-12 13:33:06

Ambi

Chris - Audacity is indeed great and all the software you would need for converting audio tapes (which ain't that great a quality to begin with) What matters though is is the quality if the digital to analogue (DAC) hardware - but these days any halfway decent sound card should so the job fine.
It really would be worth trying with what ever hardware set up you have on your PC before trying for anything better. ( please feel free to mail me off list is you need any further help with this)
Personally I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality I can produce using Audacity to clean up WAV recordings of lessons from a cheap MP3 player.
Incidentally Audacity does NOT have MP3 built in - "LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder" - Gotta Love a self referential Acronym!

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#7 2009-02-13 19:53:07

Moran from Planet X
Website

Dean Del Bene wrote:

Ralph thought this suggestion was a hoot.

I have to say my teacher's style of Taizan Ha is very interesting, he uses a wedge style, very dynamic yet intricate...holds as much interest for me as Watazumi...with luck I may be able to share some videos of Sensei Horiuchi-san.

Love the cover. Maybe ask Ralph to release his other recordings as digital and then we can stop with all this transfer stuff. And the sequel to "Myoan Party!" could be called ""Myoan Gone Wild!"  -- Nothing like a bunch of old guys sitting around a temple to bring out the raw animal instinct.
(I'll stop here. No flaming or spamming please.)

It would be great to see video of Sensei Horiuchi-san posted.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer