Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2009-02-16 20:06:16

purehappiness

Re: a DEEP rut

Thanks. smile

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#27 2009-02-16 20:08:58

purehappiness

I just googled it and it looks intense. I may wait a bit for that technique.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#28 2009-02-16 20:24:55

radi0gnome
Website

purehappiness wrote:

where would someone find info on circular breathing? I know it is probably an advanced technique but I am intrigued.

There's a short unprofessional instructional video on my myspace website, the link is underneath my avatar to the left of this post. Turn off the music player first, then scroll down to find the video and play it. Or else you could go to youtube.com and search for "circular breathing ahakuhachi" and it'll get you right there. I'd post a link but I can't from this computer. There's at least one other video on youtube that altough isn't demonstrating using shakuahchi, gives a good summary of all the anatomocal things going on and using the correct anatomical names, that's something my video was weak with.

It's not really that hard to do. If you find it too difficult you might want to learn it first on an instrument that it's easeir to do it with, like didjeridu or Balinese suling. Once you learn it, if you're like me, you'll try doing it with every wind instrument you pick up. So far I've found shakuhachi to be one of the easiest after didjeridu and suling. For some clarification, I know that different people learn at different speeds, but by "not all that hard to do" I basically mean that if I can do it you can too, and it's far from the most difficult thing I've learned musically. I'd even venture to say that the shakuhachi head shake vibrato is more difficult. The better your embouchure is the easier it will be to learn it, but if you are an advanced player don't expect to be able to circular breath on a honking Ro without being able to hear the breath. I'm not saying it can't be done, but some might say it's too limiting for that reason. I use it in both the shakuhachi tracks on my myspace music player, "Black Beauty" and "Aftershock", and although those tracks are relatively bad playing (at least thats my opinion after a year more experience playing shakuhachi), I think you can hear the potential for using circular breathing.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2009-02-16 20:28:23)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#29 2009-02-16 21:33:32

rpowers

edosan wrote:

purehappiness wrote:

where would someone find info on circular breathing? I know it is probably an advanced technique but I am intrigued.

Here's a hint: Google 'circular breathing'.

Allow me to introduce you all to Edosan's new favorite website:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=circular+breathing

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#30 2009-02-16 23:15:54

edosan
Edomologist

Y'know, I do love that website, but I still don't think I quite know how to use it, as it has only ever been used by others on me,
and I have never used it myself, or on others smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#31 2009-02-16 23:22:53

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

Y'know, I do love that website, but I still don't think I quite know how to use it, as it has only ever been used by others on me,
and I have never used it myself, or on others smile

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=let+me+google+that+for+you
Go to lmgtfy.com and type in your search. It gives you the URL.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#32 2009-02-17 06:50:25

purehappiness

Great technique. I better learn to play the shakuachi first. When I can play great with otsu and kan I may attempt this.  Thanks guys.

Lieh-tzu

#33 2009-02-19 12:59:35

KenC

Komuso,

While i've not been playing 7 years.  One thing i do when i get into those "ruts" is to stick to one flute.  I noticed you mentioned  that you play 2.  I have a 1.8 and 2.0, and while they are both by the same maker, i find they require vastly different embouchures to play.  Probably in part due to size.  But i have found that during those times of frustration, i try and stick to just one. Then when the bad days pass, back at it.

Just a couple of thoughts from another that understands.

Ken

Last edited by KenC (2009-02-19 12:59:57)

#34 2009-02-19 17:26:32

keyboard_komuso
Website

Wow, disappear for a few days and the topic's packed with replies! Thanks all for the insight, encouragement and humor. Not sure why i felt the need, but i posted a clip of me struggling through Daiwagaku on youtube set to some photography by my wife and I.
Unemployment leaves you with way too much time on your hands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqGv8RiG7nE

"Music is the space between the notes." -
Claude Debussy

#35 2009-02-19 19:56:20

airin
Website

keyboard_komuso wrote:

Wow, disappear for a few days and the topic's packed with replies! Thanks all for the insight, encouragement and humor. Not sure why i felt the need, but i posted a clip of me struggling through Daiwagaku on youtube set to some photography by my wife and I.
Unemployment leaves you with way too much time on your hands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqGv8RiG7nE

keyboardkomuso, that was a really lovely combo!  I hardly thought that the shakuhachi piece sounded like a struggle though, of course, that's how it may have felt to you but to me, the listener, it was very smooth.  And I really enjoyed the photos your used with the music.  Not only was the content relaxing but the lighting and composition was very good.  Thanks for putting this clip together and posting it for us to see and hear.

I would say your are using your new found free time quite well!

#36 2009-03-19 07:45:16

ssakamoto
Website

I loved that video and I thought the song was great.

"One thing the bamboo tells you from the start is that it's going to take years and years and years. Better get to work." -- Mujitsu

Board footer