Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-03-08 00:29:40

No-sword
Website

Album rec: "Japanese love songs" on Bis (Kobayashi/DeLangle/Geoffroy)

This is a recording of a "programme conceived as a performance involving music, poetry and choreography by Claude DeLangle, saxophone; Jean Geoffroy, percussion; Marie Kobayashi, mezzo-soprano; and Yumi Fujitani, butoh dancer and choreographer", "premiered in 2006 at the Museum of Asiatic Arts in Nice." Publisher link. (You can listen to some samples via the "Listen!" link on that page.)

The album's title is pretty off-putting, but the actual music is great-- there are compositions by Hosokawa Toshio, Ifukube Akira, Natsuda Masakazu, etc. etc. Since apart from percussion the only instrumentation is saxophone + voice, a lot of the works are built around long notes, breathing rhythms, microtonal hanky-panky etc. in a way that I think a lot of the posters here would dig.

In particular a composition by Noda Ryo called "Improvisation 1" will probably be of interest, as it has a direct shakuhachi connection. The liner notes say that in this piece Noda "reinterpreted the modal perfumes [!!] of the shakuhachi on the saxophone by the use of technical means acquired in the West. They are a kind of autotherapy which seems to foreshadow his present double career as a musician and as a researcher into music therapy in Osaka University."

There are a bunch of recordings of the "Improvisation" series on YouTube, e.g. this one. It ain't shakuhachi, but I guess I can see what they mean by "modal perfume".

A little digging around revealed that Noda apparently played with Yamamoto Hozan on Le Japon au Quatre Saisons, a.k.a. にほんの四季. Anyone familiar with this album?

Matt / no-sword.jp

Board footer