Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-03-02 22:16:25

Alan Adler

A visit from Mujitsu - Also a rubber-hose flute

Hello All,

I had a very enjoyable visit from Mujitsu a week ago.  Here he is testing one of my flutes.  Note all of our flutes on the table.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/3324827496_d53a5606fa_o.jpg

In an earlier post, I mentioned the powerful tone which is produced by my wide blowing edges.  However I learned that Ken can make a powerful tone with his more traditional shakuhachi.  The major difference being that Ken must blow the traditional instruments harder to match the volume of the wide-edged experimental flutes.

Since our meeting, I've also experimented with a couple of rubber-hose flutes.  This one is made from 7/8" ID dishwasher hose.  Like many of my others, it is tuned to the key of D minor.  It has a very nice tone.  The harmonics are slightly more mellow than a flute which I made with an aluminum tube of the same dimensions. 

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3603/3324827500_a7ec1c36ea_o.jpg

Next, I made yet another of the same dimensions of flexible PVC, which is softer than this flute.  It's harmonics are substantially more mellow.  I enjoy playing both of these flutes.

Best,

Alan

#2 2009-03-03 03:20:51

Bruce Hunter

Re: A visit from Mujitsu - Also a rubber-hose flute

Alan!
Thanks much for the pix! Dishwasher hose! Keep 'em coming. Always interesting to have different perspectives on instrument making.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#3 2009-03-11 00:08:56

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Alan,

Thermal and viscous losses due to roughness of the walls (the so-called boundary layer effect) affect the harmonics more than the fundamental, giving a mellower tone. However this is always associated with decreased acoustic efficiency (FWIW).

Toby

#4 2009-03-11 01:25:14

ABRAXAS

Wild!!! Thank you for sharing these!

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#5 2009-03-11 01:38:08

edosan
Edomologist

What an interesting, amazing array. I do love those mouthpieces (and always, the learned input from Toby).

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2009-03-11 21:35:33

Alan Adler

Toby wrote:

Alan,

Thermal and viscous losses due to roughness of the walls (the so-called boundary layer effect) affect the harmonics more than the fundamental, giving a mellower tone. However this is always associated with decreased acoustic efficiency (FWIW).

Toby

Hi Toby,

I completely agree.  However in this case the inside diameters of all the rubber tubes I've tried have been equally smooth.  I think the softness is suppressing the harmonics.  I even have one tube (Shore A Durometer = 45) which is so soft I can't make the flute speak at all.

Best,

Alan

#7 2009-03-12 05:31:25

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Alan Adler wrote:

Toby wrote:

Alan,

Toby

Hi Toby,

I completely agree.  However in this case the inside diameters of all the rubber tubes I've tried have been equally smooth.  I think the softness is suppressing the harmonics.  I even have one tube (Shore A Durometer = 45) which is so soft I can't make the flute speak at all.

Best,

Alan

Yes, that is quite possible. A soft wall is going to flex at the pressure nodes of the standing waves. BTW undercutting of all the holes is highly recommended as any sharp edges increase turbulence and limit maximum output. Did I say that already? Make two identical flutes, round both upper and lower edges of all holes on one and see if the difference is noticeable. According to the acousticians, it should be.

Toby

#8 2009-03-13 22:24:56

lloyd

Please explain all the holes on the dishwasher flute. What am i missing here?

#9 2009-03-14 01:21:07

Alan Adler

lloyd wrote:

Hi Lloyd,

This flute, like most that I've made, plays 8 notes tuned in the key D minor.

Here are photos of some of my others.  Only the top one has fewer notes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211654@N … 0/sizes/o/

Best regards,

Alan

#10 2009-03-14 01:50:34

Alan Adler

lloyd wrote:

Hi Lloyd,

I just realized that you're probably wondering about the two lowest holes.  They are unreachable and are explained here:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … 406#p20406

Best,

Alan

#11 2009-03-14 11:01:36

lloyd

Thanks Alan

So the additional holes are to enhance the sound but are not fingered- am I right?

On the pictured flutes  I can count up to 8 visible holes (+ a rear thumb hole  I assume). Whats going on??

Ta
lloyd

#12 2009-03-14 11:12:03

edosan
Edomologist

lloyd wrote:

Thanks Alan

So the additional holes are to enhance the sound but are not fingered- am I right?

On the pictured flutes  I can count up to 8 visible holes (+ a rear thumb hole  I assume). Whats going on??

Ta
lloyd

If I may add (not being a pro experimental flute designer/maker): The unreachable holes are to adjust the fundamental pitch, and there is probably no thumb hole on the back.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#13 2009-03-14 12:48:59

Alan Adler

edosan wrote:

lloyd wrote:

Thanks Alan

Ta
lloyd

If I may add (not being a pro experimental flute designer/maker): The unreachable holes are to adjust the fundamental pitch, and there is probably no thumb hole on the back.

I went back and read my link again and realized that editing was needed.  Here is the edited version from that link:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … 406#p20406

"There are two unreachable holes at the bottom, D and C#.  When all reachable holes are fingered, the flute sounds primarily through the D hole but some of the sound is also emitted from the C# hole below the D.  Thus all notes sound through at least two holes.  This makes the timbre of the lowest D note somewhat more similar to the timbre of the higher notes."

And, by the way, there is a thumb hole.

Best,

Alan

Board footer