Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-05-30 14:02:58

KenC

What size for s larger flute?

I've been playing about 6 months now and like many have enjoyed it so much.  I'd like to get a larger flute over the next months for variety and of course those even mellower sounds. Safe to say one can never have too many Shakuhachi.

I was thinking a 2.0 or 2.1?? and was hoping for some ideas or recomendations. I'll be playing Honkyoku as well as other music.  My hand span is around 7.75" which may affect my choices.

Any thoughts?

Thank You

#2 2006-05-30 14:59:52

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: What size for s larger flute?

I'd get something like the Ronnie Seldin "Kumoso" cd, and listen to that. He lists the sizes of flutes he's using, and tends to use bigger sizes. It's hard for me to say what size you should try... that totally has to be up to you. I have small hands, but I can play a 2.7 somewhat comfortably, just not all night. I have a 2.6 someone just made for me, and I can't wait to try that one.

Good luck, and welcome!

-Eddie
Kyorei Flutes

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

Board footer