Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-14 15:22:35

jeff jones
Website

Koku by Etsuzan Fujiyoshi

I just picked up a copy of Koku by Etsuzan Fujiyoshi and wanted to sudjest it to anyone wanting to hear Shakuhachi played with a approach that sounds more modern.Most of the songs are modern compositions but not all, and at times it's dificult for me to tell that it is a Shakuhachi.Then out of nowhere I will hear an Otsu of a note,reminding me that it is a shakuhachi.

Here's a brief biography.
FUJIYOSHI ETSUZAN

Born in Tôkyô in 1937, he is the actual successor of the Great school of Fuke Shakuhachi.   

It is after reading the novel of Nakasato Kaizan "Daibosatsu-tôge" that he is interested in Shakuhachi.

At first he studies the Shakuhachi of Kinko-ryû Araki-ha school with Master Kimura Yûsai, and modern Shakuhachi with Master Horii Kojirô before becoming in 1960 the pupil of the Grand Master Takahashi Kûzan of the Fuke School  to follow his teaching during 26 years until his death in 1986. The last and only disciple of the very strict Kûzan at the end of his life, he charged him to continue the transmission of the tradition of orthodox Shakuhachi of the Fuke school.

You can find this Cd at Mejiro or the Fuke website

Beauty is ugly at rest

#2 2006-02-19 19:28:48

ironmoon

Re: Koku by Etsuzan Fujiyoshi

Interesting that it sounds more mdern, given his credentials.
BTW What is the "Fuke website" that you mentioned?

Last edited by ironmoon (2006-02-19 19:29:16)

#3 2006-02-20 15:55:19

jeff jones
Website

Hello ironmoon  Thanks for you'r reply.Here is a link to the Fuke Shakuhachi site

http://www.fuke-shakuhachi.com

Beauty is ugly at rest

#4 2009-03-21 21:07:38

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I am listening to his CD's. Koku is interesting Myoan stuff. Reibo is more a varied trip and even has a few hitoyogiri pieces which are beautiful. Excellent player.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer