World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-03-22 01:19:36

Moran from Planet X
Website

Example of eBay shakuhachi fraud listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0111675905

It's this kind of listing on eBay that really pisses me off. Some guy with an "old" beat up flute trying to pass it off as the product of a Kinko master Inoue Shigemi.

Really a shame because there are some very good honorable sellers who use eBay and this kind of thing hurts anyone in the greater shakuhachi community who uses that site.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2009-03-22 01:40:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Example of eBay shakuhachi fraud listing

That is SO not a Shigemi. Ridiculous it's not even a Kinko flute.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-03-22 01:57:07

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

I emailed the guy to give me a jpeg of the "signature". No answer back as yet, I can't see any evidence of a hanko on it. The bamboo looks mediocre in and of itself. Uncared for, abused in fact and not _that_ old with a cheap looking natasuke joint wrap. And, yes it has a modern Tozan utaguchi inlay. This is the most blatant fraud I've seen in a long time on eBay.

What really jerks my chain is that I use eBay to move a few flutes now and then and I have to share the page with idiots like this.  Oh well, the good guys like Perry and Ken still sell there. There is always an upside.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2009-03-22 04:51:58

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I wrote and told him to take down his fraudulent ad. I wonder if he bought a line of BS from whoever he got the flute from or if he himself is trying to rip us off. Seems like someone who knew ANYTHING about shakuhachi would realize he'd get busted by the shakuhachi police.

#5 2009-03-22 22:08:14

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

I have a statement on my auctions that directs people here to the Forum to do some research before making  a purchase.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#6 2009-03-22 23:34:27

Seth

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I emailed the guy to give me a jpeg of the "signature". No answer back as yet, I can't see any evidence of a hanko on it. The bamboo looks mediocre in and of itself. Uncared for, abused in fact and not _that_ old with a cheap looking natasuke joint wrap. And, yes it has a modern Tozan utaguchi inlay. This is the most blatant fraud I've seen in a long time on eBay.

What really jerks my chain is that I use eBay to move a few flutes now and then and I have to share the page with idiots like this.  Oh well, the good guys like Perry and Ken still sell there. There is always an upside.

It also appears to be a well educated fraud - as in the person knows what he is talking about.  Most shakuhachi fraud is because people have no idea what they are doing; the seller really doesn't know the difference between a good and bad shakuhachi.  But there is enough shakuhachi buzz words to signal that the seller knows he's a cad.

#7 2009-03-23 00:54:16

Moran from Planet X
Website

Seth wrote:

It also appears to be a well educated fraud - as in the person knows what he is talking about.  Most shakuhachi fraud is because people have no idea what they are doing; the seller really doesn't know the difference between a good and bad shakuhachi.  But there is enough shakuhachi buzz words to signal that the seller knows he's a cad.

Yes, most of the info on Inoue Shigemi was lifted right from komuso.com's bio.

Why did he decide to use Shigemi? Pretty good choice for a high-priced antique shakuhachi.

I agree, Seth, whomever was at the 'root' of this (not necessarily the listed seller) was likely quite conscious that he was perpetrating fraud.

#8 2009-03-23 06:14:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

Maybe the pressure we put on the seller lead him to end the sale.

roll

#9 2009-03-23 06:33:44

marek
Website

We need hackers on steroids to do justice, as a special forces division of the shakuhachi police.

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#10 2009-03-23 11:56:34

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

Maybe the pressure we put on the seller lead him to end the sale.

...and to commit sepukku, hopefully.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer